Kawasaki fh500v runs fine then quits

Mike88se

Threads
It runs fine for a bit and then quits... sometimes with a big backfire out the exhaust. Wait a little while and it runs fine again til it does the same thing. Raelly could use this mower today. Got a new account with about 1.5 acres. Hate to have to mow it with my 21 but I will. I worked hard to get this acct. First million dollar house I've ever done and I'd hate to blow it :ashamed:
I haven't had a chance to do the typical stuff you do with a new used machine. Didn't expect this guy to call so soon and want the lawn done next day.
I don't have much experience with a big engine like this. It's on a 2009 Gravely 34z with less than 250 hours on it. I don't even have time to work on it really... I should be over there mowing right now.

Mike88se

Threads
First thing to do is check and adjust your valves, it is easy and free to check.

Kawasaki Small Engine Intake and Exhaust Valve Clearances
That's a damned good idea. This is weird but it ran perfect today. No backfires, never quit running, cut great. It really came through.
But... I know something happened inside that engine yesterday that's not right. There's probably a few things it needs. It may only have 250hr on it but its still 5 years old. Thanks for the link. I'm hoping the valves on this are easier than that old Briggs engine was.

Mike88se

Threads
Hope I got it right. The manual isn't as detailed as it could be. I put new plugs in and a new fuel filter and pump along with new hose. Should be interesting to see how it runs tomorrow... if it runs tomorrow ;)
Still need to change the engine oil and filter and the hydraulic fluid and filter. Maybe tomorrow.

Mike88se

Threads
I guess I got it. Cranked right up and runs good. I can't say it runs better but I didn't have time to really play with it. I would have thought there'd be easily noticed improvement. New fuel filter, pump, and hoses, new plugs, set the valves... which two were pretty far off. Maybe the carb could stand a good cleaning.
I'm hoping to have time to change the engine oil and hydraulic fluid tomorrow. The manual calls for 15/50 in the hydraulics so that's what I got.

Mike88se

Threads
This is turning into a blog ;) Or a monologue :laughing:
Had just enough time to change the oil yesterday. Complications :rolleyes:
Warmed up the engine and got my tools and oil & filter out.
There is a valve installed in the plug with a hose to clear the frame. Turned the valve out all the way and got just a trickle from the hose.
Okay... removed the vale and drained the oil making a small mess in the process. By this time the sun is going down lol. I reinstalled the valve. The nipple the valve body is attached to turns when I'm tighteneing the valve. And no I was not using a breaker bar ;) 10mm gearwrench. So now the valve is pointing almost straight up. And of course it can't be turned back w/o leaking nor turned fw due to clearance issues with the frame.
All oil changes will be messy now. Oh well. Today the hydraulic oil and filter. I hope ;)
Anyway its running well and maintained. Wish I had a Gravely 50" to go with the 34. These are great mowers. No resale vale like the bigger names. Maybe a 50 later when I can really use one. If you're still reading this thanks. Its all new to me.

MRCo.

Threads
The valve is plastic? You can replace it with brass.

Mike88se

Threads
The valve is plastic? You can replace it with brass.
Nope, valve assembly looks like brass. There is what looks like a galvanized threaded nipple between the valve and the drain hole. The nipple that the drain hose was attached to is what prevents anything from being turned in more than a 90 degree arc. It would hit the frame. I'd have to lift the engine to change anything. I can see pipe dope on the threads going into the engine. That can't be a good thing but I guess it can't make its way into the crankcase/sump. I don't think I want to lift the engine just to change the fitting as long as it isn't leaking. Oil changes will just be a little harder than they might have been. I can live with that.
Other than that I'm really impressed with Gravely. I wish I had a 50" to go with this 34". For now I'm set tho. Love the Gravely and the Exmark 21.