I have a Gravely 34z

Mike88se

Threads
I just bought a used 34z and thought I'd make a post here. It's my first zero turn so I've got some practicing to do ;) It's a 2009 model with 245 hours. I'll be looking around for other posts on the 34z but any tips or advice is welcome. I haven't had a chance to mow with it yet but I've driven it a couple of times. I gotta say I'm liking it a lot so far. It's pretty fast :cool:

Mike88se

Threads
I was going to cut some grass with this thing today. I did cut a bit and the cut quality is excellent. But... the thing died twice and backfired. I put it back on the trailer when I got it started again.
I'm used to working on smaller mowers and hand held machines. Working on this is going to be a whole new thing.
I have a huge yard to do tomorrow and I was counting on this mower. :frown:
Can't be anything too serious I think... I hope ;)
I need to do some routine maintenance. Oil change, spark plugs, fuel filter etc. Maybe clean the carb.
I sharpened the blades. Removing the blades was a pain. The bolts were torqued down and a little frozen. One of those mojacks would have come in handy. Jack and stands worked okay.

Mike88se

Threads
Next day it ran great. I used it to cut that lawn. I'm going to do a minor tune up on it. Change the plugs, fuel filter, engine oil and filter, hydraulic fluid and filter. The air filter looks ok but I might change it anyway. I'm going to check the valve clearance as suggested by Fish.
I got 30wt oil and a Purolator plus filter for the engine. Mobil one 15/50 and a Mobil one filter for the hydraulics

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldnt own a Gravely. They are junk and money pits.

Mike88se

Threads
I wouldnt own a Gravely. They are junk and money pits.

Damn, why don't you tell us what you really thing Dave :laughing:
Don't forget this is the Gravely forum ;)
All I have to say is there are Gravely's and then there is the pro Gravely's. This thing is built like a tank and has a Kawasaki engine. It leaves an amazing cut. That backfire and all... that was the engine not the mower itself. So far I'm loving this thing. I don't love many mowers and I've had a bunch.
But at least you replied which is something nobody else has troubled to do.
Matter of fact I think I'll skip this forum in future and stick to the forums where there is talk and friendly people.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gravely went downhill ever since Ariens bought them. Good luck with your Gravely.

Mike88se

Threads
Gravely went downhill ever since Ariens bought them. Good luck with your Gravely.

Hmmm... hope that was before 2009. I hven't seen anything on this mower that looks cheap or poorly designed. Wish it had fans on the pumps like SnapperPro and Ferris but it does have a fan at least.

Kmzlawncare

Forum Newbie
Threads

Not sure we're you say there junk I have a lot of different brands of mowers and I think my 2013 Gravely is the best mower I have ever owned it has a great cut nice ride and has a lot of power I'm switching all my mowers to Gravely they are a great company and I have a great dealer.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hmmm... hope that was before 2009. I hven't seen anything on this mower that looks cheap or poorly designed. Wish it had fans on the pumps like SnapperPro and Ferris but it does have a fan at least.

Take user davbell2262's comments with a grain of salt. I'm not sure what 'experience" he has with Gravely's but they do not coincide with the experience those of us who own a Gravely describe. My 2012 Gravely was purchased after Ariens(who has made extremely reliable Residential mowers for years.....in fact my next-door-neighbor has a 20-yr-old Ariens Zoom that still cuts his yard like a golf course), and I can assure you that Ariens has not changed the materials and/or construction of the Gravely from the original Gravely specs. Ariens simply purchased Gravely to expand their lawn maintenance offerings to the professionals who demand Commercial quality ZTR's that are durable for daily use.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure we're you say there junk I have a lot of different brands of mowers and I think my 2013 Gravely is the best mower I have ever owned it has a great cut nice ride and has a lot of power I'm switching all my mowers to Gravely they are a great company and I have a great dealer.

Yah, your right!!!! And I'll bet that 15-yr-old Toro Z-Master has served you well too. I almost pulled the trigger on one in 2012, but the Gravely dealer gave me a better deal than the Toro dealer would. Is yours the 2000 series, the 3000 series or what? How many hours have you logged on that Z-Master in 15 years??? You have some fine lawn maintenance equipment and I would guess that you know what you are talking about:0)