So I finally bought a trailer

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
My wife's grandmother hit a pot hole and got a flat. Got a new tire and took the bill to the city. They fixed the pot hole and paid for her tire.

The city is responsible for any damage to your vehicle caused by any road hazard they could have prevented.

My sister bent a wheel on her Hyundai. The hole was 4 feet wide and 3 inches deep. The city does not cover suspension damage but do cover wheel damage. She is in the process of getting it paid back, but you need a police report and that is ridiculous. Our city is corrupted tho so that doesn't help.

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
Most mesh floor trailers are light duty. Laying down plywood, and building to suit takes away from the carrying capacity!! If his axle is only rated for 2,000 and the trailer currently weights 600 with mesh, adding plywood and re-enforcing would add 300-400 pounds. Most mesh floor trailers don't have full size equipment. Ie small tires, small hitch, small jack ect. He's better off getting one that suits his needs then converting one and needing to re title for a higher GVRW.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
.... Unless he's doing some crazy stuff a trailer that weighs 500-600 pounds can still carry 1500 ish pounds if evenly balanced. The hitch and jack have nothing to do with carrying capacity unless its a fifth wheel or goose neck that's different class all together. I used to pull a home made 2500 gross weight capacity trailer that weighed close to 1000 pounds. It was a mesh bottom trailer we would simply lay plywood and constantly haul 2000 pounds of dirt gravel or bark mulch... Want more weight on the toungue than on the rear but not to much either

Mike88se

Threads
Well not getting into all that you don't need 3/4" plywood. It isn't going to be weightbearing per se... the frame and mesh will do that. The only point is to keep the soil/mulch from falling through. 1/4" would do just fine. 50 sq ft of 1/4" can't weigh that much.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well not getting into all that you don't need 3/4" plywood. It isn't going to be weightbearing per se... the frame and mesh will do that. The only point is to keep the soil/mulch from falling through. 1/4" would do just fine. 50 sq ft of 1/4" can't weigh that much.

Only time half inch is nice is when you have a big machine dropping in heavy rock and stuff kinda shatters the thin stuff

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Omfg just use a tarp. Or like me I use a truck bed liner with hooks on the open end so I can pull it off the trailer when it's full.

Mike88se

Threads
Those ideas sound good to me but I'm not the one who wants it. All I'd like to do is get some expanded metal up on the sides. Not build the sides up any higher... just close in whats there with expanded metal. Plywood would work for that but I want as little wind resistance as possible. HD and Lowes sell expanded metal but they want it more than I do judging by the price.
I taped the wiring up and wrapped it in convoluted tubing. Looks neat and tidy now and doesn't hang down anywhere to get caught on something. I have some rust converter/primer left over from some past project. Think I'll use that on the supports.