So I finally bought a trailer

Mike88se

Threads
Sit back and listen to a long screwed up story. After looking and waiting I finally found the exact size I needed at a reasonable price and it was in excellent shape. The seller could only offer a bill of sale. So I checked the TX gov site on the requirements for registration and title. No title necessary on trailers under 4000lb GVW. To register and get plates on a used trailer under 4000lb GVW you need a bill of sale and an old registration. This trailer came from Oklahoma which doesn't require titles or registration on personal utility trailers and the PO had never registered or titled the trailer. I figured there would be no problem getting registration and plates. I was way wrong. The clerk said she had to check with her supervisor on this. She comes back and says I have to get a title. The GVW is 3500lb but their rules (not on the site) say they assume you will be carrying something on the trailer that weighs at least 1/3 of the trailer. That bumps it up over the 4000lb limit. Gotta get a title. There is no previous title or reg so it has to be a bonded title.... about $400.
Have to get an independent insurance appraisal done to establish value... $100-$200. Then have to pay the TT&L. A little over $100 depending on what the appraisal value is.
So... about $600 to $700 to be able to put the trailer on the street legally.
What a load of crap. Especially the "assumed" part which requires a title. That just doesn't make sense. If that's the law then put it on the site. I'm basically screwed.
It's a nice trailer for what I paid. New lights & wiring, new jack, new ramp, not a speck of rust.
WP_20140325_14_12_06_SmartShoot.JPGWP_20140325_14_13_53_SmartShoot.JPGWP_20140325_14_18_15_SmartShoot.JPG

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
They must not be very bright. The gvwr rating is the loaded maximum. I have a trailer with a gvwr of 4,000. It weights 1,000 empty. I can legally haul a 3,000 pound payload. That and the trailers 1,000 pounds puts me at 4,000. Its 7'x12' single axle. I would see about registering as a homemade trailer.

Sit back and listen to a long screwed up story. After looking and waiting I finally found the exact size I needed at a reasonable price and it was in excellent shape. The seller could only offer a bill of sale. So I checked the TX gov site on the requirements for registration and title. No title necessary on trailers under 4000lb GVW. To register and get plates on a used trailer under 4000lb GVW you need a bill of sale and an old registration. This trailer came from Oklahoma which doesn't require titles or registration on personal utility trailers and the PO had never registered or titled the trailer. I figured there would be no problem getting registration and plates. I was way wrong. The clerk said she had to check with her supervisor on this. She comes back and says I have to get a title. The GVW is 3500lb but their rules (not on the site) say they assume you will be carrying something on the trailer that weighs at least 1/3 of the trailer. That bumps it up over the 4000lb limit. Gotta get a title. There is no previous title or reg so it has to be a bonded title.... about $400.
Have to get an independent insurance appraisal done to establish value... $100-$200. Then have to pay the TT&L. A little over $100 depending on what the appraisal value is.
What a load of crap. Especially the "assumed" part which requires a title. That just doesn't make sense. If that's the law then put it on the site. I'm basically screwed.
It's a nice trailer for what I paid. New lights & wiring, new jack, new ramp, not a speck of rust.
View attachment 19920View attachment 19918View attachment 19919

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is just crazy. I would go back and talk with some one else.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Complicated story! But, that is a nice trailer! Is that your backyard?

Mike88se

Threads
They must not be very bright. The gvwr rating is the loaded maximum. I have a trailer with a gvwr of 4,000. It weights 1,000 empty. I can legally haul a 3,000 pound payload. That and the trailers 1,000 pounds puts me at 4,000. Its 7'x12' single axle. I would see about registering as a homemade trailer.
It's another strange way of getting revenue for the state. If you bought a used truck and got a super deal... lets say you got a $35000 (blue book) truck for 10000 because it had a cosmetic defect...small dent or something. You''d think you'd pay tax on the price you paid right? Nope, you pay tax on what the tax assessor says the truck is worth.
Similar principle here with the trailer. These are government workers... doesn't do any good to argue with them.

This is just crazy. I would go back and talk with some one else.
That could work... I've heard that some small town branch offices have different standards. More easy going. I'm in Houston though...
Complicated story! But, that is a nice trailer! Is that your backyard?
Thanks, it really is in good shape but for what I'd end up paying the government and the title bonding co and the appraiser I could get a brand new one. That's where the guy I bought it from lives. The beach is just down the road.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks good and functional sounds like you got the legalities I'm order we have some strange laws in wa to. I will never buy a car or truck from our neighbors in Idaho... They have nearly no emissions laws or trailer safety laws lol so buying there and registering here is a nightmare. Our trailers require a title we pay taxes on what we payed so usually just get the seller to say you spent less than you did :) we do need to do tabs and registerration every year and a safety Inspection every 5 years

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
This is the trailer i use.

Attachments

• riding mower pic.jpg
    riding mower pic.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 31

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
View attachment 19920View attachment 19918View attachment 19919

I think you should be able get someone to make this right. First of all, the "G" in GVW stands for gross -- as in gross weight, which includes an implied load. They shouldn't be adding the 1/3 to the 3500 -- that's double counting -- the 3500 includes the load.

If you can't get anybody at that office to fix this, you might try calling your local representative in the state house or senate. They can often get things like this done.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but these clerks are going to continue to do this to other people in your situation. You can be a hero if you get them set straight. :thumbsup:

Note: I've never lived in Texas but I'm pretty sure gross weight means the same thing there as it does in Georgia. :laughing:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tag for my 6x12 was $20.

Mike88se

Threads
Looks good and functional sounds like you got the legalities I'm order we have some strange laws in wa to. I will never buy a car or truck from our neighbors in Idaho... They have nearly no emissions laws or trailer safety laws lol so buying there and registering here is a nightmare. Our trailers require a title we pay taxes on what we payed so usually just get the seller to say you spent less than you did :) we do need to do tabs and registerration every year and a safety Inspection every 5 years
There should be a happy medium between safety and crazy. I don't see the point in yearly registration... it's just a tax by another name. Texas has a reputation as a low tax, lax regulation state. They get revenue from all kinds of fees and sales taxes on individuals... the lax regulation and low tax is for industries ;)
I wish I could convince them that the legalities are in order.
This is the trailer i use.
Looks good. You either have a crane or mad driving skills ;)
I think you should be able get someone to make this right. First of all, the "G" in GVW stands for gross -- as in gross weight, which includes an implied load. They shouldn't be adding the 1/3 to the 3500 -- that's double counting -- the 3500 includes the load.

If you can't get anybody at that office to fix this, you might try calling your local representative in the state house or senate. They can often get things like this done.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but these clerks are going to continue to do this to other people in your situation. You can be a hero if you get them set straight. :thumbsup:

Note: I've never lived in Texas but I'm pretty sure gross weight means the same thing there as it does in Georgia. :laughing:
Exactly. I think I said GVW but I meant GVWR. GVWR=gross vehicle weight rating. The weight the trailer and axle can handle including it's own weight. These people should know these terms. I called the trailer manufacturer and they told me the trailer weighs 800lb and if the tax clerk will call them they'll be happy to verify that. Its even worse that she got that from her supervisor.
I called the main tax office today and apparently they are all like the clerk I dealt with. I don't have a lot of faith in my state or federal reps. They are busy passing silly laws and doing backroom deals. I'm going to keep trying to get it done tho
Tag for my 6x12 was $20.
Tags and plates for this should be around $50 from what I've read. Plus whatever taxes and fees they have. I put the trailer in the garage tonight... I think I had room for a 6x12