what blade tip speed

LandN

Threads
Hey guys thanks a bunch for the insight on my question of blade speed , i just got off of work so i couldn't get back to you all sooner,but i did read it all on my cell phone @lunch time.i will be more inclined now to purchase the mower now,just a few more things to check on it, thanks

MASTERLAWNMAN

Forum Newbie
Threads
It seems that a lawnmower with a blade tip speed of 18,500 has the best cutting performance....so who sets 'that' number..the government?,the mower industry?.......is there a 'minimum' blade tip speed?.... has anyone compared the cutting performance performance of two near identical mowers with say a.. ...500(or so) tip speed difference to compare the cutting difference? just wondering here cause i'm 'still' researching the mower i want to get this spring and it is just short of the magic 18,500,actually it is 18,400fpm this mower has a price tag of 1,200.00 bucks so i want to cross my "T's and dot my "I's" i have to be 100% sure on this mower.thanks :biggrin:

I have been told that the max speed is a Gov't mandated item from many years ago (30 PLUS).
Has to do with throwing blades and death.
Have ya ever seen a blade through a CBS block wall.
We use to play with the carbs on both chain saws and mowers to get max speed.
Worked at golf and polo fields for years (ONCE AGAIN 30 PLUS)
Worst thing created was the ethanol.
Only run boat gas, non/ethanol # 90 OR #91 or 103 race fuel since having to rebuild too many carbs

Great site.
Thanks,

signed,

the "MASTERLAWNMAN"