If I buy a Raptor instead of a Raptor SD, will I be disappointed?

kadowson

Threads
  • / If I buy a Raptor instead of a Raptor SD, will I be disappointed?
Congrats on the Raptor! I just ordered mine a few days back and I'm expecting delivery in a few days. The dealer I bought mine from said there are 3 people in line ahead of me and that he can't keep them stocked. No wonder with a fab deck and the Kawasaki motor, they are leaps and bounds ahead of Toro, Cub Cadet, or many other residential mowers sold in that price range. Their move to sell at the big box stores marks the beginning of their expansion as a company and domination of the market. At least Hustler makes their own low end model sold in stores. Toro outsources their low end residential mowers to MTD to manufacture for Home Depot. :thumbdown:

mhavanti

Threads
My Raptor SD only has these drawbacks next to the 16 MPH Hustler next door. It doesn't run 16 MPH. It does, however, ride more smoothly, due to a much better seat, wider tires that require less air pressure. The only other thing I don't like is the deck height adjuster sucks. Other than that, the three owners with adjacent properties with the expensive Hustlers likes mine better than theirs.

There is also several people in the area now commercially cutting with the 60 SD. Their complaint is lack of speed.

ztrjim

Threads
How is it working out for you?

DK35vince

Threads
My Raptor SD only has these drawbacks next to the 16 MPH Hustler next door. It doesn't run 16 MPH. It does, however, ride more smoothly, due to a much better seat, wider tires that require less air pressure. The only other thing I don't like is the deck height adjuster sucks. Other than that, the three owners with adjacent properties with the expensive Hustlers likes mine better than theirs.
Really !!
I have a Super Z and my neighbor has a Raptor SD .
The Raptor is a decent machine for the price, but it is no Super Z. Not even close.

mhavanti

Threads
Only things the Z has I would like to have is the deck adjuster and land speed. Other than that, to mow an acre isn't worth the price difference for my needs. I don't need ROPS or a seat belt. So, again, the SD60 ics cutting my acre in the same time the fella is cutting his 1/3 acre across the street, therefor, I'm fine with the SD.

In the Z's defense, the neighbor is afraid to turn it loose. If ya got it, use it. But then, with his seat on my property, it nearly shook my eyeballs out. And that was fter all the dirtwork and sodding. Lol

I would love to have a suspension like a Ferris. Then it would be killer.

DK35vince

Threads
In the Z's defense, the neighbor is afraid to turn it loose. If ya got it, use it. But then, with his seat on my property, it nearly shook my eyeballs out. And that was fter all the dirtwork and sodding. Lol
Mine came with a suspension seat, has flex forks out front and 8 PSI tire pressure. (Yes I can run lower tire pressures also)
Mows my 7 acres in 2 hours.

mhavanti

Threads
I wonder why the neighbors Z doesn't have a suspension seat on his? He bought it new in 13.

Do you recommend the flex forks?

DK35vince

Threads
Mine came with a suspension seat, has flex forks out front and 8 PSI tire pressure. (Yes I can run lower tire pressures also)
Mows my 7 acres in 2 hours.
Correction.
I recently measured the area I'm mowing for lawn
1034' long x 345' wide.
So I'm mowing closer to 8 acres of lawn in 2 hours. This is my 3rd season with my Super Z and it still impresses me the speed I can mow

Last edited:

DK35vince

Threads
I wonder why the neighbors Z doesn't have a suspension seat on his? He bought it new in 13.

Do you recommend the flex forks?
I have a 2013 Super Z and they come with suspension seat. (Super Z and Super Z HD come with suspension seat)

I do think the flex forks helped take some of the sharpness out of the bumps. So I'm glad I added them.
They were around $250 for my machine if I remember right.