Hustler X 1 motor on 54"vs. 60"

Rjones4029

Threads
Good evening,
I have the chance to buy a new Hustler 60" X1 for $150 less than a the same mower in a 54" model. The key point being they both offer the same size Kawasaki FX730 engine My question is directed at the motor. Will this be enough motor for the 60 inch deck? I'd rather have 6 more inches of deck for less money but don't want to have an underpowered mower. Can someone with this motor combination give me some feedback on performance. Is it going to bog down regularly. Would you drop back to the 54" and pay the extra?
Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
54" X-ONE used to come with a Kawi FX691 and 60" model with a FX730, now both have the FX730 or the larger FX850.
I assure you that the FX730 has plenty of power, I've got a FX730 on my X-ONE/60" rear discharge machine.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

gatorblade

Threads
I'm not familiar with the Hustler 1 or motor FX730. I have a 02 HustlerZ 23hp 60". If grass is damp or if cutting about 2 1/2" the grass clumps due to either there is not enough hp. or the deck design. The dealer now recomends more hp with 60" and says the deck is better. Otherwise it cuts and climbs my long steep hill ok.

Rjones4029

Threads
I hate I missed this post. Today, I pulled the trigger on a Hustler X1 with the FX730 for $8150. It was cheaper than the 54" I was interested in because of a special promotion they had. I'm trusting in a couple of things. One, I can't imagine Hustler would want to put a bunch of underpowered machines out there that leads to unsatisfied customers. Two, the FX730 is 23.5 HP and was probably closer to 27 just a couple years ago. Class action lawsuit changed the way they list horsepower. Three, and most importantly Mad Mackie said it would work. :) I'll let you know over time.

Mad Mackie,
Does your Hustler have a little whine in the hydro? I don't have anything to compare it to but the salesman said it was normal. I was there early when they moved all the mowers out to the lot and they all sounded the same so I guess it's good.
RJ
Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm not familiar with the Hustler 1 or motor FX730. I have a 02 HustlerZ 23hp 60". If grass is damp or if cutting about 2 1/2" the grass clumps due to either there is not enough hp. or the deck design. The dealer now recomends more hp with 60" and says the deck is better. Otherwise it cuts and climbs my long steep hill ok.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Rjones4029,
Having been an aircraft mech for a lot of years I've had some high freq hearing loss. The cooling fans on the pumps may have some whine to them while the machine is running. I wear high DB hearing protection almost all the time I'm running any machine as I don't want any more hearing loss! My Scag with the collection system running is loud!
The Kawi FX730 was rated at 26 HP before the class action suit that netted the lawyers 2/3rds of 50 million dollar settlement most of which Briggs & Stratton paid. I refused to be part of the settlement although I was entitled to a whapping $50.00 for the three Briggs engines I had bought new during the period covered by the suit.
My Hustler X-ONE does a fine job in cemetery duty and the cemetery gets mowed 4 times a season, and sometimes it mows about a six acre area of future expansion which usually is leased out to a farmer to hay it off. This farmer broke a leg in spring 2013 so the Hustler mowed this area 4 times last season, the Kawi met the challenge and then some!!! This is an area that is usually hayed twice a season, so it gets tall quickly!!!

Rjones4029

Threads
Ok, thanks. I wear hearing protection too just didn't have it when I test drove the mower. They all were wining so it's probably OK. I got there first thing when they were moving them out to the display area. I notice the Kawa. seemed cold natured. It was about 35 here and it took them a bit to fire up. Anyway, it's a done deal. Being delivered next week. Upgraded to the suspension seat to help with my back. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Thanks again,

Hi Rjones4029,
Having been an aircraft mech for a lot of years I've had some high freq hearing loss. The cooling fans on the pumps may have some whine to them while the machine is running. I wear high DB hearing protection almost all the time I'm running any machine as I don't want any more hearing loss! My Scag with the collection system running is loud!
The Kawi FX730 was rated at 26 HP before the class action suit that netted the lawyers 2/3rds of 50 million dollar settlement most of which Briggs & Stratton paid. I refused to be part of the settlement although I was entitled to a whapping $50.00 for the three Briggs engines I had bought new during the period covered by the suit.
My Hustler X-ONE does a fine job in cemetery duty and the cemetery gets mowed 4 times a season, and sometimes it mows about a six acre area of future expansion which usually is leased out to a farmer to hay it off. This farmer broke a leg in spring 2013 so the Hustler mowed this area 4 times last season, the Kawi met the challenge and then some!!! This is an area that is usually hayed twice a season, so it gets tall quickly!!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been thinking about a suspension seat for my Scag. I have lower back issues and don't want to make them worse, but I'm not crazy about spending $800 for a new seat, so I'm giving it more thought. I don't run the Hustler very often and there is a crew that comes in and mows the cemetery. As mowing there is a slow process around grave stones, I've never had any back discomfort. The cemetery also has an old Gravely walk behind with a sulky and when I use it I find it uncomfortable and difficult to back up. The Gravely is a narrow machine and it is used in the tight spots in the old section of the cemetery which is 200 years old and no order of stone alignment.
When we mow the unused portion, the pass around the outside is a slow process as the full width of the deck is mowing the tall stuff. The rest is mowed with only 1/3 of the deck width at most and the ground speed of the machine can be increased. I hope that the local farmer that hays this area will be able to do it this season, if not we will need to find another farmer who wants the hay. The Hustler is a great machine, but it is a lawn mower not a haying machine!!!
I'm heading out for my monthly lunch with fellow retired military guys, we swap old "sea" stories all of which are the absolute "truth"!!!! HaHa!!!!:laughing:

edd

Threads
i have 2 different kawa engines and both of them are cold natured.......hydro whine also happens on my hustler so i believe it to be normal.......kohler engine i have is not cold natured at all......interesting in the differences in the 2

Rjones4029

Threads
Did you say $800 for the suspension seat? I guess that's the bracket and the seat right? That's significant for a seat.

I've been thinking about a suspension seat for my Scag. I have lower back issues and don't want to make them worse, but I'm not crazy about spending $800 for a new seat, so I'm giving it more thought. I don't run the Hustler very often and there is a crew that comes in and mows the cemetery. As mowing there is a slow process around grave stones, I've never had any back discomfort. The cemetery also has an old Gravely walk behind with a sulky and when I use it I find it uncomfortable and difficult to back up. The Gravely is a narrow machine and it is used in the tight spots in the old section of the cemetery which is 200 years old and no order of stone alignment.
When we mow the unused portion, the pass around the outside is a slow process as the full width of the deck is mowing the tall stuff. The rest is mowed with only 1/3 of the deck width at most and the ground speed of the machine can be increased. I hope that the local farmer that hays this area will be able to do it this season, if not we will need to find another farmer who wants the hay. The Hustler is a great machine, but it is a lawn mower not a haying machine!!!
I'm heading out for my monthly lunch with fellow retired military guys, we swap old "sea" stories all of which are the absolute "truth"!!!! HaHa!!!!:laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The seat is an air suspension unit with an electric compressor and in tan color to match Scag seats. It originally is a $1,200 seat. An eBay seller has one left, still thinking about it but fading!!
Going to get my tiger Cub out of storage today before the rain comes, gotta unload the stuff out of my trailer first!!!