poulan PO15538c will not shift

phrgflyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Poulan PO15538C and it has just started not shifting. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the transmission so as to be able to shift. It has a Spicer 4630-139CH transmission.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Harry

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two things right off the top of my head. If the tractor is not running and you move the shifter between gears, how does in shift. if hard to shift, most likely linkage binding, and may need to be lubed, especially where shifter goes into tranny.

If tractor shifts ok with out running, but shifts hard when running, most likely cause is belt not disengaging all the way, and may need to adjust linkage to clutch pedal.

phrgflyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two things right off the top of my head. If the tractor is not running and you move the shifter between gears, how does in shift. if hard to shift, most likely linkage binding, and may need to be lubed, especially where shifter goes into tranny.

If tractor shifts ok with out running, but shifts hard when running, most likely cause is belt not disengaging all the way, and may need to adjust linkage to clutch pedal.

what is the procedure for adjusting the linkage to the clutch pedal? Are there any manuals or guidelines that explain the how-to. I do have a good mechanical background.

Thank you for your advice.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
one of the weak points of these transmissions is that they will let moisture in around the fasteners, and it will rust up around where the shifter/detent balls reside. And the only real good repair is total dis assembly and cleaning, etc.

On the top of your trans should be two set screws/allen head, near the shifter. Back those out, and under them is a spring
and a "detent ball", which "clicks" each position into which gear. This is likely what is rusty, so some good rust gunk in those holes may help a lot, and get you by for another year or three....

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Would where the shifter meets the transaxle be seized?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There should be a 3/8 inch rod with a flat bar attached to the top of it sticking out of the left front corner of the tranny on top next to the pulley. That area will rust up and not allow the shifter to move. Sometimes getting a good penetrating oil squirted on there can free things up. Other times it is like Fish said, you have to disassembly and clean the rust off everything. If you get that far, I wouldn't be surprised if there is water mixed with the grease.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/foote/4360-152.pdf

#3 is the "detent" ball on this model, it pushes the spring and detent ball onto the dimpled top on #6, which "clicks" the shifter into each gear position. It is also usually where moisture gets in. So if you remove the spring and ball, you should be able to squirt some lube in there, and get things moving again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
BTW, the very top of #6 is where the shifter linkage bolts onto.