What size yard for riding mower?

BlueGrass

Threads
I was riding around my neighborhood today and I saw a woman on a riding mower for a lawn that is probably 60x40 in the front and 60x80 in the back. I was thinking that maybe she was a tad bit lazy to use a push mower but then I got to thinking, maybe she has some medical condition so she can't mow with a push mower. What is the smallest yard you would use a riding mower in?

damitray

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would think the cut off would be 1/2 acre..A smaller lawn would be a waste of money....:laughing:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't believe there's a cut off point as far as size or what type of mower a person should use in his or her yard. I think it's what ever a person is comfortable using and what they can afford. Heck I know a lady that mows five acres with a Cub Cadet 1045 and she's perfectly happy.:smile:

ReggieDeere

Threads
A half an acre would be the most I would willingly cut with a push mower. Any more then that and you are looking forward to spending a lot of time mowing. Not fun unless your riding in my opinion.

I was riding around my neighborhood today and I saw a woman on a riding mower for a lawn that is probably 60x40 in the front and 60x80 in the back. I was thinking that maybe she was a tad bit lazy to use a push mower but then I got to thinking, maybe she has some medical condition so she can't mow with a push mower. What is the smallest yard you would use a riding mower in?

BlueGrass

Threads
I thought I couldn't see anything stranger than that woman using a riding mower but yesterday I saw a guy riding a mower on a lawn that would take two short strips with a push mower. I understand it's a users preference but why would you use a riding mower on a lawn that's about 30 feet long by about 10 feet wide? That to me is way too small for a riding mower.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought I couldn't see anything stranger than that woman using a riding mower but yesterday I saw a guy riding a mower on a lawn that would take two short strips with a push mower. I understand it's a users preference but why would you use a riding mower on a lawn that's about 30 feet long by about 10 feet wide? That to me is way too small for a riding mower.

I hope he had a bigger lawn out back !!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

If that is his only lawn --- I'd put in astroturf !:tongue:

grnspot110

Threads
There used to be a commercial on TV, the guy drove his tractor-type rider down about ten steps out of the front door. Mowed forward, between the sidewalk & street about 6', then backed up to mow the same amount on the other side of his walk, drove the mower back up the steps into the house!

Stevie-Ray

Threads
Yeah, a guy down the street from me has a riding mower and our lots are about 40 x 100 max. It takes me less than half an hour to cut mine with a push mower. I guess if I was left one in a will or something and had nothing but my place here, I'd sell it, because I simply couldn't justify using it here. Besides, I'd never be able to angle it around all the crap in my yard.:ashamed:

jimbo64

Threads
for some it's just the joy of the ride -[ i do this with my big l2500 kubota] or it could be a medical reason-----whatever , it's their:thumbsup: reason so i hope they are enjoying-

Attachments

• kindergarden 065.jpg
    kindergarden 065.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 000_2008.jpg
    000_2008.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20140318_113639.jpg
    IMG_20140318_113639.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 11

dnjsyl

Threads
As long as the people r happy with their machine, it shouldnt matter to anyone. Its their property and their mower. I mow about 3 acres with a cub cadet 1811, with a 44 inch deck. It takes a while, but i got a good deal on the machine and it runs well. It is all personnal preference......