lost spark on the Honda

Mike88se

Threads
Brand: Honda
Model: HRM215K2 HXA
Engine: GXV140 5.0 (sorry don't have the numbers :smile:)
No spark. Disconnected the kill switch... still no spark. I'm just guessing but the kill switch assy just grounds the coil to kill the engine so when it's disconnected from the coil it's out of the equation and if the plug and spark are good there should be spark? The plug is good.
Time for a new coil right?

X-man

Threads
If I were to guess, your coil/magneto is probably bad.

Mike88se

Threads
Thanks. I ordered a new one. Right under this post was similar problems and I found a diagram that Robert@Honda posted so I guess I checked the problem out the right way.
Looks cold there!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When looking for something with the mag or spark, always isolate the engine and chassis before anything else.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
How do I do that?

The mag will have two wires going to it. Primary (small wire) secondary (plug wire). Disconnect the primary wire and see if you get spark or not. If you don't have spark its a good chance you have a bad coil. If you do get spark you have a chassis problem. You should be able to have the coil tested before buying a new one to be sure, if it isn't too late. Once you buy a electrical part you own it.

Mike88se

Threads
Ok good that's what I did. I was thinking that would tell me if the stop switch was the problem.
The mag will have two wires going to it. Primary (small wire) secondary (plug wire). Disconnect the primary wire and see if you get spark or not. If you don't have spark its a good chance you have a bad coil. If you do get spark you have a chassis problem. You should be able to have the coil tested before buying a new one to be sure, if it isn't too late. Once you buy a electrical part you own it.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Brand: Honda
Model: HRM215K2 HXA
Engine: GXV140 5.0 (sorry don't have the numbers :smile:)
No spark. Disconnected the kill switch... still no spark. I'm just guessing but the kill switch assy just grounds the coil to kill the engine so when it's disconnected from the coil it's out of the equation and if the plug and spark are good there should be spark? The plug is good.
Time for a new coil right?

(1) If no spark, try a new spark plug.
(2) If still no spark, try a new spark plug cap.
(3) If still no spark, disconnect black wire from engine stop switch and test for spark:
--(3a) If spark is good, switch is bad, replace.
--(3b) If still no spark, ignition coil is bad, replace.

Mike88se

Threads
It was the coil. Starts on first pull now like it used to. Still need to set that governor but not having any luck. I don't have a tach but I'd guess its running around 4 grand

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So who ships on Sunday?