Exchanging Motors

budlin35

Threads
I have an 18 hp briggs intek plus single cylinder, and I want to install it on my hustler mower. The problem that I have is that my motor only has red & black wires from the stator and tan & black wires from the carb. solenoid, the mower had a Honda motor and it had a yellow wire, brown wire,blue & purple wire, tan & red wire. I do know that the blue & purple attaches to the red wire from the stator, but am confused about where to attach the others to get the mower to operate properly. I understand that the red wire has a diode built into it for charging the battery and the black is for aux. ckts. I do not know where to tie the black wire into the circuitry, as well as the wires from the carb. solenoid. Any help with this would be much appreciated. THANKS :confused2:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
For any intelligent help, you will need to provide model/type/spec/serial numbers off of both engines and the unit that you are trying to switch the engines on..

budlin35

Threads
For any intelligent help, you will need to provide model/type/spec/serial numbers off of both engines and the unit that you are trying to switch the engines on..

The briggs engine that I am replacing the Honda with is an 18 hp intek plus. The model #31h777, serial #030109ZD, type # 0202E1. The Honda was missing when I got the mower. I contacted a distributor and he ran the numbers and told me that the previous engine was a Honda.

budlin35

Threads
I was referring to the Hustler FasTrak 44 EZT model 926527, serial 03067427. The original Honda motor was a twin cylinder, 16 hp.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a ZTR, I don't recommend replacing a V twin with a single cylinder for several reasons. Increase in vibration, possible loss of needed torque and what will be needed to complete the repower to make it reliable and functional are some reasons in my opinion. Over the years I have seen some compromised repowers that have rendered the entire machine useless scrap with the initial idea of saving some money.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
True, also it sounds like your engine doesn't have the capacity to run an electric pto, which is a costly upgrade as well.

Here is the manual for your mower, my pdf reader can't open it, see if you can, and throw up the wiring schematic here.

Mower Manuals

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does this help????

image-3073934828.jpg

Attachments

• image-2521594284.jpg
    image-2521594284.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 11

budlin35

Threads
True, also it sounds like your engine doesn't have the capacity to run an electric pto, which is a costly upgrade as well.

Here is the manual for your mower, my pdf reader can't open it, see if you can, and throw up the wiring schematic here.

Mower Manuals

Thanks Fish. I had downloaded this manual earlier.