Briggs & Stratton won't prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok... two questions.
What is that primer bulb looking thing where a primer bulb should be?
What controls the choke? Is there a part missing that fits on to of that cam looking thing that would connect to a spring or rod?
Ah hell 3 questions... if the carb is a 498965 then why does it have 214570 stamped on it?

Sure looks like a primer bulb to me.
Hell might as well ask another one ;)
When the choke plate is closed the mower still won't start w/o gas or carb cleaner sprayed in the throat. How about just drilling that hole out?

answer 1 I don't see any "primer bulb looking thing"
answer 2 numbers on the carb are not the part number from the B&S parts manual.
answer 3 apart from damaging the carb, you be wasting your time drilling out anything, but good luck anyway..!

Mike88se

Threads
Here are some pics that show where my throttle control is on the handle and the front of the a/c cover etc
Here is a pic of a choke model, just a blind plug/cap where the primer snaps in.
feb21_018.jpg
feb21_016b.jpg
feb21_020b.jpg

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think that's stock my friend... I think you have a choke model... Push all the way down on throttle closes carb. Move it a touch up is full throttle and up from that slows it down until all the way up witch is off...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carb pictured is not a lawn mower carb, but one that is used on snowblowers. That carb does not go with that engine.

Mike88se

Threads
answer 1 I don't see any "primer bulb looking thing"
answer 2 numbers on the carb are not the part number from the B&S parts manual.
answer 3 apart from damaging the carb, you be wasting your time drilling out anything, but good luck anyway..!

Put on your specs ;)
P1010005.jpg

As I said, closing the choke doesn't start the engine. I have to prime it. You have suggestions?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replace carb with primer model just looked most toro gts briggs engines are primed so perhaps the carb was replaced not the cover and they didn't get the right carb. I would double check the choke is closing all the way before preceding closing the butterfly will make less air flow and more gas and should start your engine if its truly a primer model you need to figure out why this carb isn't pruning or get a different carb

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can push the primer bulb all day long and it will not prime, time to buy the correct carb.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look up under where the lever controls are for the model number.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The carb pictured is not a lawn mower carb, but one that is used on snowblowers. That carb does not go with that engine.

I thought the same thing about the carb. Doesnt have the right look to be the right one.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the whole story on this engine? Does this carb have a choke? Is this a different carb from the original? What is the Toro model number?

Wow, a whole bunch of folks boldly stating the obvious!

How about putting up the correct model/serial/type numbers off of the mower and engine????????

Look under the plate that the throttle control is mounted for the mower's model/serial number!

You should know where the engines Model/Type/Code numbers are!!!!!

Damn!!! Why do we have to pull teeth on every thread????

Status
Not open for further replies.