Briggs & Stratton won't prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the whole story on this engine? Does this carb have a choke? Is this a different carb from the original? What is the Toro model number?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well it either primed by hand, has a manual choke or auto choke. If someone replaced the air cover with something they had on hand it probably doesn't have a primer bulb. Does it have a throttle control or govenor I'm wondering if someone replaced the carb at somepoint and got the wrong one. The prime hole is very obvious and should not be plugged

briggs

Threads
those darn filter housings will warp and also where it mates to the gasket will flatten out and it wont prime .....make sure its in good shape and replace it if need be good luck

Mike88se

Threads
What is the whole story on this engine? Does this carb have a choke? Is this a different carb from the original? What is the Toro model number?
I don't know the story on the engine. I bought the mower used a few weeks back. Not positive on the Toro number but I think it's
Well it either primed by hand, has a manual choke or auto choke. If someone replaced the air cover with something they had on hand it probably doesn't have a primer bulb. Does it have a throttle control or govenor I'm wondering if someone replaced the carb at somepoint and got the wrong one. The prime hole is very obvious and should not be plugged
Hard to say what's been done with a mower somebody else owned. It has a throttle, governor, and a primer bulb.
those darn filter housings will warp and also where it mates to the gasket will flatten out and it wont prime .....make sure its in good shape and replace it if need be good luck
That part is NLA and with that hole plugged it's isn't going to prime anyway.
Since there seems to be some doubt here I'll post some pics. The carb # is 214570. Engine number 12f702-1814 E1 Serial# 97071659. This pic should lay to rest any doubt that the hole is plugged or was never drilled out:
carb_008.jpg
This is the plastic "cam" on top of the choke shaft:
carb_009.jpg
Is there a circuit in there somewhere where the green line is?
carb_004.jpg

Heres the primer bulb and filter plate
P1010005.jpg
P1010006.jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
That carb hasn't got a primer bulb, its fitted with a choke control. and the part number for carb is 498965

Attachments

• 12f700.jpg
    12f700.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 18

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well a pic is worth a 1,000 words, eh?

Mike88se

Threads
That carb hasn't got a primer bulb, its fitted with a choke control. and the part number for carb is 498965
Ok... two questions.
What is that primer bulb looking thing where a primer bulb should be?
What controls the choke? Is there a part missing that fits on to of that cam looking thing that would connect to a spring or rod?
Ah hell 3 questions... if the carb is a 498965 then why does it have 214570 stamped on it?

Well a pic is worth a 1,000 words, eh?
Sure looks like a primer bulb to me.
Hell might as well ask another one ;)
When the choke plate is closed the mower still won't start w/o gas or carb cleaner sprayed in the throat. How about just drilling that hole out?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic of a choke model, just a blind plug/cap where the primer snaps in.

Attachments

• DSCN6124.jpg
    DSCN6124.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 16

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well Toro 20487 is showing an ohv model

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like someone had an extra housing that just happened to be a bulb style... The choke should be controlled by the throttle you can manually close the butterfly with the throttle if you cannot it probably needs adjusting

Status
Not open for further replies.