Front end is light.

harryset

Threads
I got a new LGT 1054 this year, with an MTD snowblower attachment on it. I love the feel of the steering, very light, almost like having power steering, but it doesn't. My problem is, that even with the snowblower mounted, the front end is so light, that it is actually difficult to steer.

With the blower down, and working, the tractor will lose front wheel traction, and almost uncontrollable. I have tried my old trick of running a length of roller chain around each front tire, to help them dig in a little, but that isn't working at all.

I though I could maybe add some weight to the front of the tractor, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to attach anything.

Anyone else run into problems like this?? If so, how did you fix it?? I am open to suggestions.

harryset

Threads
Chains need to be on drive axle, back wheels. Check this out under accessories:http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/lgt-1054

Please give me a little more credit than that. I have V-bar chains on the rear already. When the rear wheels turn, the machine moves. However, the front end is too light and tends to wash out, and drift to one side or the other.

Running a roller link type chain around the front tires worked well for my old Craftsman, but not so much for this one.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
We do not have snow here but i have a mower we play in the mud with and it would not want to turn. I went with a pair of super lugs on the front. They did the trick.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What about front wheel weights?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a 50lb bag of tube sand throw it over the top

BWH

Threads
I have made lead wheel weights for a number of tractors (mainly rear weights) but I have done one set of weights for the front tires of a lawn tractor that a guy used for pulling in the local fair. Lead is very easy to melt and pour into forms and with your 16" x 6.5" front tires I would guess you could get 20 to 35 lbs. on each side fairly easy.

I usually find a can, pan or even a 5" to 6" pipe in your case to pour into for the form. Mounting the weights on the rim will be a bit more work because unlike the older rims new rims don't seem to have any holes for mounting leaving your only option to machine in a couple or three. Then you either mold studs in the lead or drill the lead at the same diameter to match the holes in the rims for long bolts, most likely you will have to shim out the weight to clear the axel cap.

The good part of wheel weights is they are non destructive to the tractor as they don't put any additional weight on the tractor components plus the steering friction doesn't change much.

P.S. I have used a torch with a bud tip to melt lead but as of late I have been using the propane burner off a deep fat fish fryer with a cast iron camping kettle as a melting pot. You can buy lead from your local tire retailer for scrap price sometimes less.