Wet Grass

SallyA

Threads
Around here, it rains so much in the spring that just about the time the grass is dried out enough to mow, it rains again. Are there any mowers or blades that work pretty good on damp grass?

BGC

Threads
I googled your question and the only answer I found was a goat. You would have to have a goat to eat the grass but you would still get an uneven cut.:laughing:

EverGreen

Threads
You would have to mow before it rains or just mow the grass when it's damp. If you mow it when it's damp it will leave grass clippings all over your lawn. That makes more work for you because you have to rake that. You could always put artificial turf in, then you wouldn't have to worry about mowing :biggrin:.

SallyA

Threads
I didn't think there is much that can be done about cutting grass in the spring, except cutting it before the next rain even if it's still damp. I guess it's just something we have to live with here in Kentucky, but I had to ask.

LandN

Threads
its the growing season and the rain is coming and there isn't anything you can do except mow often.lots of lawn services often run behind schedule in the spring because they just can't keep up with the grass growing like crazy.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Around here, it rains so much in the spring that just about the time the grass is dried out enough to mow, it rains again. Are there any mowers or blades that work pretty good on damp grass?

I try not to mow when the grass is wet, and if I have to use a push mower I fasten up the discharge chute. I drill a 1/8 hole on the plastic chute edge then fasten it up with a short length of bare copper wire. With the chute out of the way the wet grass doesn't plug up the discharge chute and you don't have to stop and shut off the engine to clear it as often. WARNING: If you try this, wear safety glasses as the grass tends to spit back toward the operator.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My 72 inch side discharge mower will zip through dry or wet grass never any problem with anything clogging.
On my larger finish mower it is rear discharge ... imposable for that to clog.
as far as clippings blowing around ... I stay inside my cab where its clean and cool... no clippings in there...
:smile:KennyV

jenkinsph

Threads
I agree it is much better to have a clear discharge on the mower, no mulching plug, cut it often and rake it if you like. When I lived in Mississippi with a 3 acre lawn I mowed it twice a week when it was growing fast. I found this took less time and looked much better than waiting for it to get tall. Sometimes it was still wet/damp but the grass would grow so fast that within a day or so the clippings were grown through.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I mowed it twice a week when it was growing fast. I found this took less time and looked much better than waiting for it to get tall.

Right I have never really saved much of any time cutting tall grass... You end up having to do something extra, to get it looking right.... and I really like mowing so I try to do it often, if the ground is not too wet... I'm most likely going to be mowing... :smile:KennyV