Chain hung deck

Carheir

Threads
What is the advantage? Noticed the raptor sd isn't chain hung and the fast track is. All things equal, is this feature worth the extra dough? Help me understand.

Threads
A mower deck hung with chains will allow for a more level cut over uneven terrain. It can also be more durable because it can flex if you hit something, and not break.

MRCo.

Threads
The chains let the deck "float" over bumps and uneven terrain so you minimize scalping and, as said, it offers protection to the deck for damage sustained while hitting obstacles. If you look at the Raptor SD, the linkage drops actually allow for movement like chains would, but not as freely. Bear in mind the vast majority of homeowner yard tractor mowers have fixed deck drop...so in that sense it is not a real detriment provided your yard is essentially level. Of course, pro mowers want a chain hang as they don't want to scalp a paying customers yard. If you scalp your own, well...you can beat yourself up or let it go. But if you paid a guy, you'd expect not to see that.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Snapper rer have had this set up with the chains for years

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the advantage? Noticed the raptor sd isn't chain hung and the fast track is. All things equal, is this feature worth the extra dough? Help me understand.

If your looking for an advantage for one Hustler over another there probably isn't one. People say chains let the deck "float" over bumps and uneven terrain so you minimize scalping and that is true but so do deck rollers and cutting height adjustment. You'll notice with Hustler mowers all there decks float, I don't believe they have or make a fixed deck. The reason the Raptor doesn't have chains is because Hustler designed the mower to cut cost to the homeowner who wants a ztr without the cost.
If you look at other company's and some of there mowers Like Cub Cadet and others who do make there mowers with a fixed decks and rollers design they are made with what is called a pivoting or floating front end to compensate for uneven terrain. Now whether it's worth the extra money or not is up to you, you probably wont gain a whole lot with chains over rollers as a home owner.

Last edited:
Threads
If you transport them alot the chain system doesnt wear alot but I have noticed the lift fixed arm system does. I guess from all the bouncing while on the trailer the arm slots where the pins go on a lift arm style like a rider, etc get worn alot more. I have noticed the chain style has grade 8 chain which wears alot slower, and is alot easier to adjust compared to the other style.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you transport them alot the chain system doesnt wear alot but I have noticed the lift fixed arm system does. I guess from all the bouncing while on the trailer the arm slots where the pins go on a lift arm style like a rider, etc get worn alot more. I have noticed the chain style has grade 8 chain which wears alot slower, and is alot easier to adjust compared to the other style.

I lower my deck all the way down when on the trailer. I think it helps

Carheir

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'm trying to do is justify in my own mind going for a fast track rather than the raptor sd and I'm not quite convinced that the extra money is warranted. Although, I might just say what the heck and go for it. Can't afford the fast track sd though. That is some serious cash outlay.

MRCo.

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'm trying to do is justify in my own mind going for a fast track rather than the raptor sd and I'm not quite convinced that the extra money is warranted. Although, I might just say what the heck and go for it. Can't afford the fast track sd though. That is some serious cash outlay.

Well, there's a lot more to t than that, including better deck, foldable rops, better hydros, better fame, better warranty, standard engine guard. SD benefits are the engine type and size, warranty and better doer pulleys...costs you about $700.

Threads
I lower my deck all the way down when on the trailer. I think it helps

Yep I figured that trick out to late after I fixed mine I started doing that now it keeps the deck from bouncing, and wearing out those pin holes on the lift arms.