Is your John Deere worth it?

ReggieDeere

Threads
John Deere is probably the best known, and the most expensive mower on the market. I love mine so much that I am looking to buy a new one. Anybody else think that the price is worth it?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a Deere 318 and LOVED it - never a problem -- I understand the new ones at box stores are not so good - I'd talk to the dealer about what you want to use it for and reliability of the models you are thinking about.

It all depends on what your purpose is and your budget - Whatever you decide - make sure it is a reliable dealer with a good service department. :biggrin:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I think any premium brand is worth the investment---not just John Deere (though we all have our favorites and there's no denying the fact that more JD mowers have been sold than any other... 5 million+ in fact).

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Second the warning about the big box stores. Many products are made for sale through an authorized dealer network that are designed to a performance specification and then there are those made for sale at the big box store that are designed to a price specification. This is one reason you won't find Stihl products at the big box store. You will see Honda powered equipment at a dealer with a low oil shutdown, but not at the big box and so on.

Roger2561

Threads
My $0.02 worth - Even if you have spend a bit more for it at a dealer as opposed to the box store, I think it's worth the money because you have a source for parts or at the very least, a human being to complain to if something doesn't go your way. Public Relations are everything to the small dealer, their reputation depends on it. Their mechanic helped my brother and I load into my brother's truck. They ran through the safety features with me (just as the sales person did), made sure the engine and hydraulic oil was fresh and full and a full tank of fresh gas. You don't think you get that kind of service at the box stores. Have a great day. Roger

grnspot110

Threads
My $0.02 worth - Even if you have spend a bit more for it at a dealer as opposed to the box store, I think it's worth the money because you have a source for parts or at the very least, a human being to complain to if something doesn't go your way. Public Relations are everything to the small dealer, their reputation depends on it. Their mechanic helped my brother and I load into my brother's truck. They ran through the safety features with me (just as the sales person did), made sure the engine and hydraulic oil was fresh and full and a full tank of fresh gas. You don't think you get that kind of service at the box stores. Have a great day. Roger

Agreed!!! Stick with a reputable dealer! Box stores don't sell parts (other than plugs & some filters). ~~ grnspot110

VaughanM

Forum Newbie
Threads
You Bet!

I'm on my third (455) and fifth (2520) JD. Great engineering and superior service in my area. When I'm broken down I trailer the broken machine to the dealer and they let me load on any model (new/used) my trailer will haul away. On the very rare occasion they don't have the part, I pay $10.00 extra and they air freight it in by 10:00 am the next day.

I mow for several properties so I can't be down long.

Pricey, it's an investment.

ReggieDeere

Threads
Wow, over 5 million John Deere mowers sold? That is amazing, although I should have expected that considering they've been in business since 1837. That's a long time for a company to be around, so you know they're doing something right.:smile:

I think any premium brand is worth the investment---not just John Deere (though we all have our favorites and there's no denying the fact that more JD mowers have been sold than any other... 5 million+ in fact).

Bradzilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine is worth it to me. I have a 757 that has been great so far.

After shopping for a ZTR, I decided that there are many high quality brands and mowers in the category that would serve me well. I made the decision to buy the Deere based on the dealership. I bought it from the place in a neighboring town instead of the one closest to me, because I liked them and thought they were the most professional, honest, and helpful of all of the places I spoke with.

I am actually considering buying a garden tractor now too, even though I have a CUT and a ZTR. I am not sure if I really need one but I am trying hard to rationalize that idea. :laughing: