Another governor "Hunting" thread. Very frustrating.

svejkovat

Threads
I just replaced a tired and aging HSK70 7HP "snow king" Tecumseh. I found a high value NOS 11 HP OH318EA-222712. 115 USD with 30 dollar ship. Seems there are a bunch of these with a 7/8" tapered shaft that have no application beyond a certain Coleman generator. Good deal for me since I have a full shop with lathe and tig welder. I just bored the pulley ID to match the shaft and put two tig spots on the end to secure it. Future tear down? Just grind off the two small tig spots.

No matter how I work to tune it the new engine wants to hunt. The OH318EA is not a dedicated "winter" engine. Can anyone help me determine what needs to be tweaked to make it so? It does have a reversible filter cover that either draws from the side or, rotated 180 degrees (in winter mode), draws from a shroud around the muffler. I removed the paper filter which itself might account for leaning the mix a bit more than was designed for.

So it is winterized to the best I'm able. But no matter what I do, and I'm generally confident in my small engine tuning skills, it wants to "hunt". The OH318EA is a single speed motor. I have a digital tachometer so I can spot it at 3600 rpm after getting all else tuned. There are five notches on the arm that attaches to the governor output shaft. I've worked with all five of them. The only other adjustment on this engine is a 3/8 nut that puts more/less tension on the spring attached to those five notches. I've seen this engine listed, at this price, online now for over five years. It may be that the carb gets varnished on the shelf. Running it and spraying carb cleaner into the high speed circuit did not seem to help. I may need to disassemble and completely clean the carb. There are zero adjustments on this carb.

In all possible combinations I cannot get it to stay smooth without it hunting when the snow gets deep and taxes the engine. After about 60 seconds of driving through heavy snow it starts to hunt again and eventually will just die. Frustrating.

There are no other adjustments on this motor. I'm wondering however if I might ream out the main jet/emulsion tube (have not looked yet so I don't know if they are separate) ever so slightly and work upward from there. I have many micro drills in a wide range of sizes/gauges. Supposedly this OHV engine is tuned very lean to meet emissions standards. As a generator duty motor it may not have been set up for high load minutes at a time. Perhaps I need to start with a richer (ever so slightly reamed) main jet?

Thanks for any advice you can give. When it is running it's a real joy. The 30 year old HSK70 was probably only 5hp after all these years. A fresh 11hp OHV really sends the snow over the trees and, when not eventually hunting, cuts through tall wet snow without losing any rpm at all. The HSK70 used to drop about 30 percent or more and just chug and strain through the deep stuff. It kept going, but really slowed down the job.

Threads
I just replaced a tired and aging HSK70 7HP "snow king" Tecumseh. I found a high value NOS 11 HP OH318EA-222712. 115 USD with 30 dollar ship. Seems there are a bunch of these with a 7/8" tapered shaft that have no application beyond a certain Coleman generator. Good deal for me since I have a full shop with lathe and tig welder. I just bored the pulley ID to match the shaft and put two tig spots on the end to secure it. Future tear down? Just grind off the two small tig spots.

No matter how I work to tune it the new engine wants to hunt. The OH318EA is not a dedicated "winter" engine. Can anyone help me determine what needs to be tweaked to make it so? It does have a reversible filter cover that either draws from the side or, rotated 180 degrees (in winter mode), draws from a shroud around the muffler. I removed the paper filter which itself might account for leaning the mix a bit more than was designed for.

So it is winterized to the best I'm able. But no matter what I do, and I'm generally confident in my small engine tuning skills, it wants to "hunt". The OH318EA is a single speed motor. I have a digital tachometer so I can spot it at 3600 rpm after getting all else tuned. There are five notches on the arm that attaches to the governor output shaft. I've worked with all five of them. The only other adjustment on this engine is a 3/8 nut that puts more/less tension on the spring attached to those five notches. I've seen this engine listed, at this price, online now for over five years. It may be that the carb gets varnished on the shelf. Running it and spraying carb cleaner into the high speed circuit did not seem to help. I may need to disassemble and completely clean the carb. There are zero adjustments on this carb.

In all possible combinations I cannot get it to stay smooth without it hunting when the snow gets deep and taxes the engine. After about 60 seconds of driving through heavy snow it starts to hunt again and eventually will just die. Frustrating.

There are no other adjustments on this motor. I'm wondering however if I might ream out the main jet/emulsion tube (have not looked yet so I don't know if they are separate) ever so slightly and work upward from there. I have many micro drills in a wide range of sizes/gauges. Supposedly this OHV engine is tuned very lean to meet emissions standards. As a generator duty motor it may not have been set up for high load minutes at a time. Perhaps I need to start with a richer (ever so slightly reamed) main jet?

Thanks for any advice you can give. When it is running it's a real joy. The 30 year old HSK70 was probably only 5hp after all these years. A fresh 11hp OHV really sends the snow over the trees and, when not eventually hunting, cuts through tall wet snow without losing any rpm at all. The HSK70 used to drop about 30 percent or more and just chug and strain through the deep stuff. It kept going, but really slowed down the job.

I would say check, and clean the carb first then go from there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a manual for your engine which may help. I suggest that you remove the carb and either have it ultrasonically cleaned or give it a 24 hour soaking bath. When reassembling it replace the float needle and seat and adjust the float level so that it is slightly rich. Post back if this does not help.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a blowup of a hsk70 carb, it shows a couple adj. hidden under plugs. Also, remove the bowl nut/jet and clean all of the small holes out in the side of it, see if this cures your condition, as if sounds just a hair lean. The filter should actually richen/help the lean condition.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
OOOps, forgot the blowup. Actually 17 looks like the only adjustment.

Attachments

• hsk70.gif
    hsk70.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 15

svejkovat

Threads
Fish, thanks for the link. I might not have been clear. The 7hp HSK70 has been replaced with an 11hp OH318EA. Its carb is pretty interesting. I like the simplicity of it and hope that now it's adjusted properly will give me no headaches for a while. The bowl is held onto the body with a large "U" snap ring just like the bowls on my BMW airhead. Nice concept except that the bowl is plastic and more flexible than metal/alum. The area directly beneath the snap ring mounts squashes the gasket very tightly while the edges of the square bowl appear not to clamp very well. But it is working so I'll not worry.

The carb was pristine inside visually. I left it disassembled in the parts washer overnight anyway after soaking in carb cleaner. Blew out the circuits w compressed air. There is no float adjustment on this. In fact no adjustments whatsoever. I noted that the float, with needle closed, was lower than parallel with the carb body (lean). The entire float is nylon with no bendable tab or anything. So I sanded a few hundredths at a time from the top of the steel needle until I got the float slightly higher than parallel with the carb body.

Cannot say what made the difference but it runs perfectly now. I suspect the richer float position did the very small difference that was needed. Thanks for the heads up on that Rivets. Thanks for the ideas here and I hope this might help someone else needing to run this engine just a tad richer than it was designed.
For anyone looking for a good basic 11hp OHV utility replacement 115 plus ship (35 dollars in my case) is a heck of a good deal. The odd tapered shaft is not a deal breaker since the taper is only the last inch or so of the length. There is plenty of straight 7/8" shaft to mount a pulley on without worrying about the tapered end.

ajbagnall

Forum Newbie
Threads

Try running with the choke partly on and see if the hunting goes away. If this happens then you know that it is running too lean and the jet needs to be enlarged. Then you can go in to the carb and drill out the main jet jut a little at a time till you get it where you want it. The new winter gas makes every thing run leaner.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your slow speed circuit is plugged. Remove number 47 and 48 plugs and clean out the slow speed jets. A very common problem with that engine.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I doubt that the OP is still waiting for advice. In 2014 he stated the problem was solved.