Ariens 1028 rear engine ignition problem

arch252

Threads
I purchased a used Ariens 1028 Model 927046 to repair. It did not have a starter and I was told it needed a new solenoid. It has a 10 hp B&S Model 28B707, Type 1142-E1, Code 010503ZD. I took the engine and carb apart and cleaned and inspected it and everything was good. I purchased and installed a starter and went ahead and replaced the solenoid just in case. There is spark to the plug but nothing when you turn the ignition key, the starter does not attempt to engage. I can jump from the battery directly to the starter and the engine will start and run fine. I checked the ignition switch with a voltmeter and it is fine. I checked the three safety switches, the seat switch, the transmission switch and the PTO switch, they are all good. I considered the voltage regulator but from what I read that would not keep the engine starter from engaging. The new solenoid was mounted a little differently than the old one. Both had the two main posts but the old one had only one smaller post and the new one had two. The wire to the small post I believe goes to the ignition switch. I connected that wire to both of the smaller posts and it made no difference. I thought maybe I crossed the main wires on the two main posts so I switched them but it made no difference so I put them back the way I believe they should be. I can bypass the solenoid by arching across both main posts and the the starter will engage. All of the ground wires appear to be secure. There is no inline fuse. Is the new solenoid bad or have I overlooked something else? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140202_213257.jpg
    20140202_213257.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20140202_213305.jpg
    20140202_213305.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140202_213309.jpg
    20140202_213309.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 24

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are two style solenoids, buy they are both simple devices. The are basically and electromagnetic switch that connects the battery directly to the starter. The original one you had, the key switch sends 12 volts to that little terminal, and the starter would crank. For the switch to work like that, the switch is grounded
where it bolts to the mower frame, as any device needs a current path from negative to positive.

The switch you bought has to be grounded by that other small terminal, so if you would run a wire from the frame to that little terminal, it should work fine.

arch252

Threads
That makes perfect sense Fish, thanks! Of course it would be that simple. As you can probably see in the picture the old one had a ground wire run behind one of the mounting posts so I kept it there with the new one instead of grounding it to the second post. I can't wait to get home and see if that solves the problem, dang this real job! I can hear Fred Sanford looking down on me right now and lovingly saying, "You big dummy!"

arch252

Threads
Fish...you were right on brother! Thanks so much for your quick reply and expertise. I'm still learning every day!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great, glad to hear it!!! If you ever need to replace the drive disc, any shop will have it aftermarket under Snapper pretty cheap.

claymore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a used Ariens 1028 Model 927046 to repair. It did not have a starter and I was told it needed a new solenoid. It has a 10 hp B&S Model 28B707, Type 1142-E1, Code 010503ZD. I took the engine and carb apart and cleaned and inspected it and everything was good. I purchased and installed a starter and went ahead and replaced the solenoid just in case. There is spark to the plug but nothing when you turn the ignition key, the starter does not attempt to engage. I can jump from the battery directly to the starter and the engine will start and run fine. I checked the ignition switch with a voltmeter and it is fine. I checked the three safety switches, the seat switch, the transmission switch and the PTO switch, they are all good. I considered the voltage regulator but from what I read that would not keep the engine starter from engaging. The new solenoid was mounted a little differently than the old one. Both had the two main posts but the old one had only one smaller post and the new one had two. The wire to the small post I believe goes to the ignition switch. I connected that wire to both of the smaller posts and it made no difference. I thought maybe I crossed the main wires on the two main posts so I switched them but it made no difference so I put them back the way I believe they should be. I can bypass the solenoid by arching across both main posts and the the starter will engage. All of the ground wires appear to be secure. There is no inline fuse. Is the new solenoid bad or have I overlooked something else? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hello - you post was over 3 years ago and I just ran across it. I was just wondering if you still have this particular Ariens mower? If so, I own this same mower and still going strong. I bought mine new in 2001 and have all booklets including service manuals, etc.) I also live in Alabama.

arch252

Threads
No, I purchased that to repair and sell. It's funny, that was the first riding mower I bought to repair, and that's the one that caused me to join this forum. Seems like forever ago but it was only 3 years. Since then I've bought, fixed and sold at least a hundred mowers and now I really only mess with John Deere. I went from not knowing how a solenoid worked to now I can completely tear down and rebuild a liquid cooled Kawasaki. I've come a really long way and a lot of that is because of the pros here who have helped me out numerous times.

cashman

Threads
What section of Alabama y'all from?

cashman

Threads
I'm from Gadsden. My parents sold Ariens in Attalla back during the late 1970's and the 80's along with Snapper. I remember a man and his wife that ran a small engine shop in Hartselle that sold a lot of Ariens back then. I don't remember their names but met them several times at dealer meetings and they went on some dealer trips put on by the Ariens distributor out of Atlanta which was Nicholson's Equipment Co.