Raptor SD

shanewoodsman

Threads
Wasn't that problem with the models that were being delivered a couple years ago? I know mine was one that was included, but it was taken care of before delivery. No problems with belts/pulleys etc.

Good point! I have been researching and reading about mowers so long that the date of these postings escaped me! Sorry about that, just don't want to make a (2nd) wrong decision.... I had to go through so much to get them to take back the (base) Raptor - loved the engine, but pretty much didn't like everything else. The SD seems to be more in the line of what I expected the first time.... it should have occurred to me "you get what you pay for". I have been enjoying reading various threads here because there really are too many mower choices, and each has it's merits.

577jersey

Threads
I got an SD and have 20 hours on it..my only complaint would be #1 the muffler scorches the grass if you stop for longer than 30 seconds.
#2 the deck discharge opening needs to be bigger,Ill mod it after warranty runs out if I still have it.
#3 the deck lift brackets that go to the deck lift bolts seem a little light.

Mine has the FR engine...as long as you take it easy on rough lawns,get a muffler heat shield,and service the mower,it should last a long time.

Tom

shanewoodsman

Threads
All good points. I was never able to find any more SD's with Kawasaki engines (they all have Kohler engines on them now and I was not looking for a Kohler model), so I am now shopping again - looking at the Ferris mowers. Yes, if you do regular maintenance on the FR (that is what I had on my previous Hustler) it will run fine, for many years - I never modified my deck to stop the clumping of grass under it, but that sounds like a good idea. You could buy that Hustler rear shield to put over your muffler, but I didn't because I'd rather the heat escape as soon as it can - trapping heat is never a good idea, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy your Raptor SD.

577jersey

Threads
All good points. I was never able to find any more SD's with Kawasaki engines (they all have Kohler engines on them now and I was not looking for a Kohler model), so I am now shopping again - looking at the Ferris mowers. Yes, if you do regular maintenance on the FR (that is what I had on my previous Hustler) it will run fine, for many years - I never modified my deck to stop the clumping of grass under it, but that sounds like a good idea. You could buy that Hustler rear shield to put over your muffler, but I didn't because I'd rather the heat escape as soon as it can - trapping heat is never a good idea, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy your Raptor SD.
Thanks alot brother!!
Yeah I have a few nice lawns I do and seeing the browm marks really made me upset,,so I have to do something.
I see the factory shield blocks the heat from getting to the PTO and hydros also,,as long as the heat can blow out the sides strong enough it should be ok,,that flywheel really pushes alot of air!
I got lucky and my local dealer got a truck in with a few FR's a few weeks ago and I jumped on it fast :)