Raptor SD

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My RaptorSD deck spring distended today at 8hrs, belt shredded also. The grass was pretty tall but I finished up the job fine on my Craftsman LT2000 :ashamed:

Now maybe the blades are dull but I'm pretty disappointed it couldn't handle this I was not 20mins into it. Maybe it's not made for this, then again I know the Craftsman is not.

Sounds like that recall for the clutch assembly is a little more serious than is being stated by some:0(
Again, I am always leery of buying a new model of "anything" the first season it is introduced and this sounds like a MAJOR quality control problem on the side of Hustler. Hopefully, with as new as your RSD is, your dealer will make all necessary repairs under warranty and you won't have any more problems. I would question your dealer as to why they did not notify you of the recall and have you bring it in before something like this happened at 8 hours!!! My dealer contacted me immediately when there was a recall on the fuel filter used on my Kawasaki FX691V engine. Let's hope Hustler doesn't become the next GM concerning lack of actions related to defects in their products. Because of the low-ball pricing of the new Raptor series they are selling like hotcakes but if a lot of new owners have an experience like yours the Raptor won't last two years.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've uncrated and sold a few Raptor SDs in the last couple days. It's the mower I'd take home or my yard, in 54". The 54" has the 12" wide rear tires that look awesome, 48" has 8". That's fine...but the 20x12" are just mean looking! An earlier post suggested that the 48" has lesser castor forks, but they are the same as the 54"- the 3/8 solid steel ones found on the Fastrak. The difference is the tires, 5 vs 6.5" width. The RSD is a very nice mower, the $1200 uptick from a Raptor is immediately visible...you get a lot more mower. For those mowing near lots of bushes, etc. I recommend the engine guard option. It's $70, not a lot. But the carb, linkages and fuel solenoid wires are on the rear of the mower...pricey to fix. Just an idea.

I'm already becoming a little disenchanted with Hustler's new offering....but are you kidding, the Raptor SD doesn't come standard with an engine guard???? Sounds like a "hook" similar to the Bad Boy dealer informing me a ROPS was $250 extra....when all of the literature in the BB product catalog showed the Outlaw with a foldable ROPS and no mention of it being "extra". But you are right....I wouldn't buy a ZTR without an engine compartment guard.

P.S.
After looking at the Hustler website, I'm a little confused about your statement about the engine guard option. The pictures on the Hustler website seem to show the Raptor SD "with" an engine guard. Is that NOT how they come delivered??? BTW, the plastic spindle pulley covers make this look even "more Residential grade":0(

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, so is there a benefit to the cast iron spindles on some mowers?

Most Commercial and Industrial ZTR's have cast iron spindles....much heavier duty than aluminum. They have used them(cast iron) on high dollar farming equipment for years.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently bought the Raptor SD and I'm very satisfied with the look of my 3 acres. I thought as rough as my property is that there would be more scalping but it really did a nice job. The only complaint I have is the deck spring broke at only 5 hours. Dealership replaced it with no problem but I apparently did not have the deck belt on properly. I'm guessing maybe a twist and the belt broke 2 hours later. I'm going back to dealership this morning to get a new one. I'm not sure the actual size of this belt as I haven't found a cross reference size to the part #604817. I hope this is not a re-occurring problem with this deck.

Another thing I should note is a comment from my neighbor who has been mowing his 3 acres with a Club Cadet ZTR. He could not tell a difference between the sound when the mower was engaged or disengaged. Smooth running.
WOW...deck spring at 5 hours. There appear to be a LOT of "early" repairs going on with the new Raptor series(just in this thread alone...and they haven't been out very long). I'm becoming more & more disenchanted and reluctant to recommend them:0(

clpolcar

Threads
I looked at the RSD and didn't care for it at all. Looks like lite commercial but cheaper built. I bought a ferris is600z. Low grade one but with 3100 or 3400 drive system. Better deck. Suspension. Wide tires. Great mower so far with 10 hours on it. I would spend a little extra to get a better mower

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked at the RSD and didn't care for it at all. Looks like lite commercial but cheaper built. I bought a ferris is600z. Low grade one but with 3100 or 3400 drive system. Better deck. Suspension. Wide tires. Great mower so far with 10 hours on it. I would spend a little extra to get a better mower

I'm not a big Ferris fan(manufactured by Briggs is a turn-off) but I would buy one before getting a RSD based upon what I've seen thus far posted by new owners having problems with the RSD(and I have always read good user comments about the Ferris).

P.S.
Your comment about spending a little extra to get a better mower reminds me of what my Grandpa always said....."you get exactly what you pay for" and if you buy cheap 90% of the time you get cheap.

clpolcar

Threads
I'm not a big Ferris fan(manufactured by Briggs is a turn-off) but I would buy one before getting a RSD based upon what I've seen thus far posted by new owners having problems with the RSD(and I have always read good user comments about the Ferris).

I'm not a fan of Briggs motors. Love the Kawasaki engines. I'll buy ferris until they only put Briggs engines in them. So far I love my mower. Glad i went with it.

stumper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I currently have 8.6 hours on my 60 " RSD and have had no issues at all. It took me a bit to get used to sitting on top of the deck as opposed to having the deck out front on my old 72" hustler. So far I wouldn't trade it for nothing!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: