Hustler Raptor SD vs. Gravely ZT XL vs. Toro Timecutter MX5060

mich3210

Threads
  • / Hustler Raptor SD vs. Gravely ZT XL vs. Toro Timecutter MX5060
Hopefully everyone can help me decide which of these is the best ZT. My wife and i are buying a new house and will need to mow about 3 acres. I've got a budget, and there's no way of increasing it. I need to stay right around $4k. Based on the dealers in my area, I've narrowed my search down to the following:

Hustler Raptor SD 54" - $4100
Gravely ZT XL 54" - $4199
Toro Timecutter MX5060 50" - $3999

I've looked at the specs and compared everything, and they are all pretty close in all aspects. I can't find much in the way of reviews for the Hustler Raptor SD, because it looks like it's new for this year. The Gravely ZT XL seems to get really good reviews, as does the Toro. I'd love to be able to get something a little beefier, but because we are buying a new house and expecting our second child, I'm limited to $4k.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MRCo.

Threads
Well, mechanically they have the same major components, so I'd go test drive them. See which feels best to you and see how you like the layout and build. Then factor in the dealer you feel will give best service support, done.

mich3210

Threads
Well, mechanically they have the same major components, so I'd go test drive them. See which feels best to you and see how you like the layout and build. Then factor in the dealer you feel will give best service support, done.

I plan on it. Was just hoping for some real world advice from people who might have looked at these models. I've already talked to the Gravely/Toro Dealer. He said he sells a lot more Gravely's than he does Toro's. He really likes the XL model. I'm trying to get in touch with Hustler Dealer.

mich3210

Threads
No one else has any opinions on the 3? Thanks!

jettix2

Forum Newbie
Threads
No one else has any opinions on the 3? Thanks!

Wish I could give you some input, I'm in the same boat as you........good luck, perhaps add the Cub Cadet Z-Force line to your list??

Jim's Handyman Service

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wish I could give you some input, I'm in the same boat as you........good luck, perhaps add the Cub Cadet Z-Force line to your list??

Over the years I think i have used them all. The Raptor SD 54 is the best Bang for the buck Just bought one today and Its Great!!!! the dealer gave me a free mulch kit 189.00 and a free 1st oil change.

Brucebotti

Threads
I have the Toro MX5060 that I bought new in early 2013. I would describe it as a top-end residential / low-end commercial unit. I settled on it because I had a budget of $4,000 and it had the three major things I was looking for:
- Welded deck
- Kawasaki motor
- Serviceable hydro units

I have about 30 hours on it and I absolutely love it. I was skeptical about the high & low range, but since I had never used a ZTR before, the low range saved my bacon while I was "learning". It gives a great cut. I look forward to it being my last mower, with proper care and maintenance.

I have seen it on several sites for $3,799.

Good luck in your search!
Bruce