John Deere Simply The Best

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have not worn a watch for over 8 years, when I retired I simply stopped wearing one. My smartphone has it's own clock and an alarm...why does anybody need a watch when they are retired, anyhow?

But if you showed me a JD watch...that is another matter.

flyfisher6032

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I just had to put my 2 cents worth in. My darling wife bought me a X530 series garden tractor to replace my 318 that is dying a very agonizing death. I bought the 318 used, but it was the best garden tractor I ever owned. There is no comparison between the two. As a previous writer mentioned about John Deere tractors, it is a great running tractor and I'm satisfied with it. But, I do miss the greater weight of the 318, especially chugging up and down on hillsides, and the hydraulics. I couldn't justify going to the 700 series to get a tractor equal to the 318. I don't want to be critical, but in the quest for a cheaper product, the engineering staff lost sight of producing an excellent product as apposed to an acceptable product.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Hi all, I just had to put my 2 cents worth in. My darling wife bought me a X530 series garden tractor to replace my 318 that is dying a very agonizing death. I bought the 318 used, but it was the best garden tractor I ever owned. There is no comparison between the two. As a previous writer mentioned about John Deere tractors, it is a great running tractor and I'm satisfied with it. But, I do miss the greater weight of the 318, especially chugging up and down on hillsides, and the hydraulics. I couldn't justify going to the 700 series to get a tractor equal to the 318. I don't want to be critical, but in the quest for a cheaper product, the engineering staff lost sight of producing an excellent product as apposed to an acceptable product.

We've had other threads on this forum about the weight of garden tractors going down and down over the decades. I think some are in the "lighter is better" camp when it comes to mowing, but I think people expect a little more out of the garden tractors and in all other cases the extra weight is a plus.

I haven't owned a modern garden tractor so I can't say if I'd prefer the belles and whistles to the brute force of an older model, but it would be a tough decision. :cool:

Welcome to the forum, by the way!