why the big gap in deck sizes

LandN

Threads
Does anyone know why there is a gap in the walk behind/push lawnmower deck sizes from the popular 20" 21" 22" cut to the popular 42" 46" 48" etc.i know the craftsman has 2 walk behind models at 33" cut and exmark i think still makes the 26" walk behind. craftsman use to make a 26" mower but no more. ariens has a 34" walk behind. it just seems to me that MOST of the push/walk behind mowers are at a 2"increment @20/21/22" with not a lot of choices above that. personally i'd like to see more choices of mowers in the 26" to 28" inch deck size. just wondering here:thumbsup: btw my top choice is still going to be the john deere we85 mower this spring unless something better comes out, and i have had /and used several 33" walk behind from troy-bilt and craftsman but they are just a bit weak,with the cables and all. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm guessing it's an engineering decision based on what kind of hp it takes to generate the centrifigul force necessary and the what forces the mower can withstand when that motion comes to an ubrupt stop. The bigger the diameter the greater those forces become
The larger diameter riding mower makes good use of a belt and pully system to increase the rpms at the blade shaft, relative to the walk behind. When the blade hits something solid with this configuration, the belt slips or absorbs the energy rather than the crankshaft.
So a larger diameter direct drive walk behind mower may not stand up well unless it has a way to limit forces that can result from inertia or the sudden stop of same.
This large diameter walk behind mower would also become exponetially heavier as it becomes stronger and more complex requiring a drive drain. This now extra heavy self propelled mower has the capapbility of towing additional weight such as a person....and the stand-up or sit down sulky was born!
If you have ever used one of these you'll understand why they were replaced with the more effective
riders we see today.
So I guess the answer to the question is mower evolution?

Last edited:

LandN

Threads
I'm guess it's an engineering decision based on what kind of hp it takes to generate the centrifigul force necessary and the what forces the mower can withstand when that motion comes to an ubrupt stop. The bigger the diameter the greater those forces become
The larger diameter riding mower makes good use of a belt and pully system to increase the rpms at the blade shaft, relative to the walk behind. When the blade hits something solid with this configuration, the belt slips or absorbs the energy rather than the crankshaft.
So a larger diameter direct drive walk behind mower may not stand up well unless it has a way to limit forces that can result from inertia or the sudden stop of same.
This large diameter walk behind mower would also become exponetially heavier as it becomes stronger and more complex requiring a drive drain. This now extra heavy self propelled mower has the capapbility of towing additional weight such as a person....and the stand-up or sit down sulky was born!
If you have ever used one of these you'll understand why they were replaced with the more effective
riders we see today.
So I guess the answer to the question is mower evolution?

Good answer and that brings to mind the exmark metro 26"push mower which has the belt and pulley system as you mentioned to absorb sudden impacts but has been very problematic with various other issues,it is the size mower i would like,(it resembles a typical homeowner type mower)just seems to me that if one company can sell/ make that smallish size 26"deck that other companies cant follow suit and improve upon it. thanks:biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know why there is a gap in the walk behind/push lawnmower deck sizes from the popular 20" 21" 22" cut to the popular 42" 46" 48" etc.i know the craftsman has 2 walk behind models at 33" cut and exmark i think still makes the 26" walk behind. craftsman use to make a 26" mower but no more. ariens has a 34" walk behind. it just seems to me that MOST of the push/walk behind mowers are at a 2"increment @20/21/22" with not a lot of choices above that. personally i'd like to see more choices of mowers in the 26" to 28" inch deck size. just wondering here:thumbsup: btw my top choice is still going to be the john deere we85 mower this spring unless something better comes out, and i have had /and used several 33" walk behind from troy-bilt and craftsman but they are just a bit weak,with the cables and all. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

I considered buying the 26" Craftsman walk behind myself...got to thinking, are the standard walk behind mowers limited because of the blade itself, can it be only so large before it becomes impractical for a 5-6 hp engine? To have a wider, heavier blade requires a beefed up transmission system to handle the blade weight and tip speed? I probably spend 2-3 hours a week using a 22 inch walk behind but it's half trimming time, I do the house yard with it, takes an hour and a half. Hard to justify buying a bigger machine for that one purpose. GREAT POST...made me think. :thumbsup: