Broken down mower

grass cutter

Threads
My neighbor gave me a old self propelled mower that his brother gave him for free. I was originally going to use the deck off of it but I bought two me mowers instead. I still would like to fix it though. The mower has sat outside, without a spark plug, for who know how long. It isn't seized, but it has no pull cord, and no blade. The first question that I have is it worth it to tear it down and try to get it running again? If I was to do this how would I change the pull cord? It looks like it is riveted down. I have no clue as to what year the motor is, or even what brand it is. I would imagine that the mower is about 15 years old, and the engine is probably about four horsepower. So is it worth it to fix it? I would like a little challenge.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have no clue as to what year the motor is, or even what brand it is.
... So is it worth it to fix it? I would like a little challenge.

Lets try to figure out what you have...
Can you click a picture of the engine...
Almost anything is fixable ... :smile:KennyV

noma

Threads
Grass cuter

I guess it depends how much time you have on your hand, and how much expierence you have on small engines repair.And if you enjoy it go for it, there might be a reason that it sat for a while to.::wink:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My neighbor gave me a old self propelled mower that his brother gave him for free. I was originally going to use the deck off of it but I bought two me mowers instead. I still would like to fix it though. The mower has sat outside, without a spark plug, for who know how long. It isn't seized, but it has no pull cord, and no blade. The first question that I have is it worth it to tear it down and try to get it running again? If I was to do this how would I change the pull cord? It looks like it is riveted down. I have no clue as to what year the motor is, or even what brand it is. I would imagine that the mower is about 15 years old, and the engine is probably about four horsepower. So is it worth it to fix it? I would like a little challenge.

If it were me, first thing I would do is hope it wasn't stored with gas in it or the fuel system will be gummed up. And hope it WAS stored with reasonably fresh oil because old oil is full of contaminents that will ruin the moving parts. Try bolting a section of wood to where the blade goes and see how easily the engine turns over. A new blade, a plug, a starter rope will cost you maybe $20, an oil change, $3 for oil. If it turns over esily odds are the internals are okay and no need to tear down. Fixing a starter rope is easy. Keep us posted, a pic wil help us identify the type. What color is the deck? I could probably tell you the make just from that (I think) .

grass cutter

Threads
If it were me, first thing I would do is hope it wasn't stored with gas in it or the fuel system will be gummed up. And hope it WAS stored with reasonably fresh oil because old oil is full of contaminents that will ruin the moving parts. Try bolting a section of wood to where the blade goes and see how easily the engine turns over. A new blade, a plug, a starter rope will cost you maybe $20, an oil change, $3 for oil. If it turns over esily odds are the internals are okay and no need to tear down. Fixing a starter rope is easy. Keep us posted, a pic wil help us identify the type. What color is the deck? I could probably tell you the make just from that (I think) .

Yeah, it has old gas in it. I was thinking about buying a whole new carb. The engine internals are pretty hard to turn, and it may be because there is no blade on it. It has plenty of oil in it, but it's pretty old. I have never rebuilt a engine before, just fixed diffrent things on the engine. The deck is red, it's a Murray. I just don't know of the motor make because Murray but both Tecumseh and Briggs motors in their motors. May be a little before I get a pic up, but I'll keep updating. I think that it was left ourside because the pull cord broke. Fornd out some new information about the mower. It's a briggs and stratton, and was made somewhere in between 1995 and 1999. Don't know anything else.

Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, it has old gas in it. I was thinking about buying a whole new carb. The engine internals are pretty hard to turn, and it may be because there is no blade on it. It has plenty of oil in it, but it's pretty old. I have never rebuilt a engine before, just fixed diffrent things on the engine. The deck is red, it's a Murray. I just don't know of the motor make because Murray but both Tecumseh and Briggs motors in their motors. May be a little before I get a pic up, but I'll keep updating. I think that it was left ourside because the pull cord broke. Fornd out some new information about the mower. It's a briggs and stratton, and was made somewhere in between 1995 and 1999. Don't know anything else.

A new carb will be more costly than you think but you can rebuild yours as good as new using a rebuild kit and a can or two of cleaner. You can ALWAYS get parts for a Briggs.

Check on Ebay and maybe you can find someone trying to sell one like you have, the prices may give you an idea if it is worth fixing or not. If it were not for the shipping charges, I would have a LOT more mowers than I already do!!! :laughing:

grass cutter

Threads
A new carb will be more costly than you think but you can rebuild yours as good as new using a rebuild kit and a can or two of cleaner. You can ALWAYS get parts for a Briggs.

Check on Ebay and maybe you can find someone trying to sell one like you have, the prices may give you an idea if it is worth fixing or not. If it were not for the shipping charges, I would have a LOT more mowers than I already do!!! :laughing:

Yeah I looked up prices for a carburetor for a Briggs and stratton and they're pretty expensive. I'm going to tear the motor down soon.

jteuban

Threads
Yes, I would try to fix it. What you should try to do is buy a saprk plug and put it in. Then find or buy a pull rope and a Blade .Free is best. Do not try to start it with out a blade, they act as a cooling device. Next see if there is any old gas in it. then dump it out, if you get to this part, see if it feel normal when you pull it. Now you can put some gas in it and try it out. If it starts thats great but if it does not, pull the air cleaner off. Next the carb and take the bowl off clean it and make sure the jet is clean. Oh of coarse make sure all gas lines are not rotten and it gets gas. now check the needle and pin to make sure it is not stuck. Put it back together and see what happens. Wish you luck with this. 9/10 lawn mowers are fixable. Oh also check for spark. It just depends if you want to put any time or money into it

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...Do not try to start it with out a blade, they act as a cooling device. ...

The blade may act as a cooling device for the person working on the mower, but not for the engine...

I think you meant the blade acts as a fly wheel, and is needed to keep the engine running... :smile:KennyV

jteuban

Threads
yes,that is correct ,thank you for pointing that out a prob would have not thought about it too much myself, but If you are talking about small b@s engine such as a 3.5-5 hp. then it it is also a cooling fin because what looks like the fly wheel on top actually only hold the pin or key in place. cheers. that is what i figure. I hope I do not sound like a "know it all" or a wise guy.