Using a balancer on a mower blade

mois25

Threads
My good neighbor was giving me valuable advice and part of what he said was that it is important to always use a balancer. Is there any danger to the mower in general and if a balancer is not easily accessible can one make any modifications?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been clamping mower blades in a vise to sharpen them with files for over 35 years, really, the only "Balancer" you need is a finish nail driven into a wood block. Just hang the blade on the horizontal nail and if the blade is unbalanced the heavy end will be lower. I have NEVER had an unbalanced blade, because by filing you remove so little material from each end the blade usually remains well balanced.

LandN

Threads
I have been filing my blades for years, not taking to much off . and then more recently (3 years ago) i have been using a angle grinder because it is quicker for me,but i never used a balancer or even a nail set up like jd green uses(and jd does like most people and lawn service co's. do) which i think is a good thing. the thing is that if you don't balance the blade(s) "supposedly" you may experience vibration on the mower , which i never have felt. there is a mower blade sharpener/cleaner from ...magna-matic.. that is suppose to be the cats.....for sharpening and cleaning the grass and rust off the blade, but the price is (imo) so high that i dont see how a person can justify owning one.but many people on a different forum swear by them.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been filing my blades for years, not taking to much off . and then more recently (3 years ago) i have been using a angle grinder because it is quicker for me,but i never used a balancer or even a nail set up like jd green uses(and jd does like most people and lawn service co's. do) which i think is a good thing. the thing is that if you don't balance the blade(s) "supposedly" you may experience vibration on the mower , which i never have felt. there is a mower blade sharpener/cleaner from ...magna-matic.. that is suppose to be the cats.....for sharpening and cleaning the grass and rust off the blade, but the price is (imo) so high that i dont see how a person can justify owning one.but many people on a different forum swear by them.

I have thought about using my angle grinder but would hate to take too much metal off a cutting edge so I don't do it that way. Do you use a metal grinding wheel of any certain grit? Coarse or fine?

LandN

Threads
I have thought about using my angle grinder but would hate to take too much metal off a cutting edge so I don't do it that way. Do you use a metal grinding wheel of any certain grit? Coarse or fine?

its just a cheapie black and decker 4 1/2 " grinder with a black and decker wheel but no indication of coarseness(unless "type27" means anything) but by feeling it i'm saying med/fine....i'm sure you wont have a problem with your blades just practice on a old scrap piece of like steel and "finesse" it you'll be fine with it,:thumbsup:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
its just a cheapie black and decker 4 1/2 " grinder with a black and decker wheel but no indication of coarseness(unless "type27" means anything) but by feeling it i'm saying med/fine....i'm sure you wont have a problem with your blades just practice on a old scrap piece of like steel and "finesse" it you'll be fine with it,:thumbsup:

Thanks...a B&D grinder cannot be any worse than my "Crapman" grinder....:laughing::laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
4 1/2 inch grinder is quick & easy... Just a light touch, will keep it sharp and in shape, don't get too carried away and burn a hot spot into the metal...
I have also used a file.
Balancing a blade is not going to be a big issue. If you have a blade that is in such bad shape that its out of balance ... YOU probably need a NEW BLADE...

There is going to be someone that will sell you anything they can convince you that you need...
If you really feel that a co$tly balancer is needed ... then you should get an even MORE co$tly Dynamic balancer...that will really spin it up and computer balance it.:biggrin:
If your blades are not clean and rust free enough, you might look at having them powder coated while you have them off to resharpen :laughing:...

Reasonable care when sharpening a wire brushing and a nail will work fine... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
$ 1/2" angle grinder, balance check, back on the machine.
easy, peasy, lemon squezey:smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been clamping mower blades in a vise to sharpen them with files for over 35 years, really, the only "Balancer" you need is a finish nail driven into a wood block. Just hang the blade on the horizontal nail and if the blade is unbalanced the heavy end will be lower. I have NEVER had an unbalanced blade, because by filing you remove so little material from each end the blade usually remains well balanced.

Pardon me for asking, but how can you use a Nail to balance a lawn mower blade when it doesn't achieve the center of rotation.

Last edited:

173abn

Threads
I bought one of those cheap balancers at the local hardware store and I guess it does ok.I had some rusty blades that I cleaned up with a wire wheel and then applied a coat of EZslide as a kinda experment. won't know how that goes till spring. russ