Using a balancer on a mower blade

phcaan

Threads
I got a few minutes to experiment further with my spindle balancer. I started by using a torpedo level to adjust the face of my spindle to be perfectly plumb. I grabbed a different blade and put it on the nail and it went down on one side about three inches. I put it on the spindle and it went down about the same distance.

I then started grinding off the heavy end and got it level on the nail, even holding up a torpedo level to get it as level as possible. I then put it on the spindle balancer and it was dead level there as well.

I will be hustling tomorrow to catch up so I can take my wife to the doctor on Wednesday, so if I don't get a chance for more testing, I should be able to get back to it on Thursday.

If I were unable to do any further testing, my conclusion or at least what my testing tends to point toward, is that the nail method is worthwhile, and I see why it was actually published in some old John Deere manuals. It is CLEARLY better than no balance at all.

Larry

Thanks Larry, Keep us posted. When I get a chance to test my motorcycle rig I will post results.

Phil

MBDiagMan

Threads
I got some more time last night and to make a long story short, I balanced a few VERY out of balance blades rather than the not very out of balance blade that I reported on in my last post.

From my experience last night, I now believe that the nail balance is better than nothing, but centering the blade on a ball bearing pivot is MUCH better. My spindle mounted with shaft horizontally makes a good balancer, with MUCH more sensitivity than the nail, but is not nearly as quick and easy to use as the magna matic. The mounted spindle will serve me for now, but when I get the coin, I will be buying a magna matic.

MBDiagMan

Threads
My "balancer." I used two hanger bolts which are hardware items with lag screw threads on one end and machine threads on the other. You probably can't tell from the picture, but the hanger bolts are threaded into a creosote post that is a support in the middle of my hay barn turned into shop. I used two nuts and washers on each stud so that I can adjust them so that the face of the blade mount portion is plumb. I bought a short bolt for mounting the blade so that it wouldn't take as long to mount the blade for test.

Not pretty, but it works great for blades with a center hole that fit. When I do a set of Bad Boy blades, they have a slightly larger hole, so I will try to find something as a bushing to fit them.

Attachments

• spindlebalancer1.JPG
    spindlebalancer1.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 37

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Hi folks,

I'm not NEAR the experts that you guys are but I use a scale and a piece of angle iron (in this case a small vise). It's always worked for me.

Sorry but I didn't want to pull my blades off. ;-)

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 33

briggs

Threads
we all have are thing i guess i use a grinder and i don't balance them never broke anything on mine hell i have clients bring me stuff that the blade is worn so bad but u would not know it because it dose not shake ...When u cut grass they go out of balance u chip it its out of balance etc ...The only time it really matters is if u bend the dam thing or take a big nick out of it ...I have been grinding them for 15 years never had a prob yet ..Oh and it depends on what blade u use also if there cheap blades (of shore junk u get what u pay for ):confused2:

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the gray colored blade balancer that looks like christmas tree to balance mower blades.

briggs

Threads
Let's face it, we're all a bit "unbalanced" anyway.

LMFAO I was going to say that took the words right out of my mouth ...Yes I am a little off balance maybe I should buy one and see if I can balance myself :laughing:

sallymander

Threads
I sharpen with a 4" angle grinder and used to check for balance with one of the cone type balancers.
They were always well balanced so I gave it up. The secret is just don't get carried away with your grinding.

But that was in the old days. Since I started using Gator blades I've found I can go the whole season mowing four acres once a week without sharpening the blades.
They are inexpensive enough that I just replace them at the beginning of the season.