Using a balancer on a mower blade

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A mower blade, By design will be UNbalanced during operation... The leading edge will be making contact with & cutting grass, that will load that end of the blade... The opposite end of the blade is in an area that has already been cut, or mostly cut. It will have less of a load than the edge that is cutting the bulk of the grass... So you could accurately say that the blade is dynamically Always Very out of balance...
But there will be those that will be Sure that their balancing systems are going to have an effect on this variable state of unbalance... especially if they are using a system that is sold for a lot of $$...
Fortunately balance is Not a very important element in making a lawn mower function & last... :smile:KennyV

chance123

Threads
A mower blade, By design will be UNbalanced during operation... The leading edge will be making contact with & cutting grass, that will load that end of the blade... The opposite end of the blade is in an area that has already been cut, or mostly cut. It will have less of a load than the edge that is cutting the bulk of the grass... So you could accurately say that the blade is dynamically Always Very out of balance...
But there will be those that will be Sure that their balancing systems are going to have an effect on this variable state of unbalance... especially if they are using a system that is sold for a lot of $$...
Fortunately balance is Not a very important element in making a lawn mower function & last... :smile:KennyV

I have to respectfully disagree. A "load" and "balance" are two different issues Just say for example "you are correct in what you say" That would mean if your blade is out of balance to begin with, Once you start cutting, will it be "even more" out of balance? If that's the case it seems best to have the blade as balanced as you can get it to begin with.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
An uneven load will impact balance ... a mower blade during its normal operation will always have an uneven load.
The importance of balancing (mower blades) is Greatly overrated. But, as in most things, if it makes you feel better, or pay closer attention to your maintenance procedures ... by all means do it... :smile:KennyV

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
chance123 said:
This is where I lost the meaning of your statement
Now your just being a wise ***
Even a child would know it was a type o
As you already know it should have been ( does not or will not )

Showed this to my 11 year old First thing she said was you forgot the not

I am happy for you that you have gone to school for all this How many blades on YOUR mower do you sharping or replace every year?

I have a craftsmen 42 inch mower have cut over 2000 yards with it in the past 2 years have never had to replace a spindle housing or a bearing and we all know how cheap craftsman decks are. I balance my blades on a nail because the star does not sit right on a cone.
If balance was so important I think I would have had to replace something.

I balance my snapper push mower blades the same way as does the snapper dealer I get blades from

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am seeing when a mower deck spindle bearing gos bad it is because it has no lubrication in it and dirt. I can't ever remember replacing a well lubricated and clean bearing that went bad because of poor balance. Not saying it can't happen but something I never seen. Also I sure can't see no big deal to balance and clean the blade when you sharped it with a cone balance. I just don't see spending big money doing so. I am going to also say that some people will over kill with sharping. As for myself being just a home owner I do it once a year. Also I am not a perfectionist when it comes to mowing or taking care of my lawn.

BWH

Threads
Very interesting discussion, since the start of this debate I have taken my 21" Honda mulching blade that I normally sharpen with a right-angle grinder to a sharpening service that uses the Magna-Matic equipment (sharpener and blancer) and had it professionally sharpened. The only thing I will say is there was without a doubt a definate difference at full RPM as far as vibration. With that said I admit that I never balanced this blade before with any means but wow what a difference. I was also told that new blades are not balanced and some times are some what out of balance right from the get go. Never the less the balancing sure made my old mower run smother than the day I bought it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, you guys really get stirred up over balancing, more even than sharpening. First time this forum I've seen a hint of profanity in the "***". :smile:

What we need is a cam corder with strobe video set up under the deck during operation to see what the blades are doing.

Next sharpening I will check the blade balance with dried grass-spinach on blade and them after scraped and wire brushed before sharpening to determine role of debris in static balance. I will use my $2.50 balancer (DIY) to detect imbalance down to 1/8 oz.

If we cannot resolve this issue peacefully here I suggest a BALANCE OFF" contest to be held in Kansas . No beer drinking allowed.:cool2:

Rednekdaddy

Threads
Wow, you guys really get stirred up over balancing, more even than sharpening. First time this forum I've seen a hint of profanity in the "***". :smile:

What we need is a cam corder with strobe video set up under the deck during operation to see what the blades are doing.

Next sharpening I will check the blade balance with dried grass-spinach on blade and them after scraped and wire brushed before sharpening to determine role of debris in static balance. I will use my $2.50 balancer (DIY) to detect imbalance down to 1/8 oz.

If we cannot resolve this issue peacefully here I suggest a BALANCE OFF" contest to be held in Kansas . No beer drinking allowed.:cool2:

I was all set to go to Kansas till you outlawed my beer! :mad::mad:

marvc

Threads
Good afternoon. I have 2 sets of blades for my craftsman and they have the star-shaped center hole. I use a hand grinder to sharpen and use a nail or similar way to check the balance. It is harder with the star shaped hole, but there is ussually 1 spot that is straight up in the 12 0'clock position. I use that one and have had good luck with no vibration from out-of-balance blades. My opinion is that you cant beat the old 20 cents worth of pine board and a 10 or 12 penny nail. I just try to make sure the nail is pounded in far enough to be sturdy and at a 90 degree angle to the board. Why spend up to several $$$ on something when something free or less than 50 cents works just as effective?:cool: