Using a balancer on a mower blade

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can buy a blade balancer off E-Bay 6.95 with shipping. Cheap insurance and very little work to balance a mower blade. I sure can't see why you would not want to clean and balance your blades when you sharpen them. For me its just a once a year job of getting the mower ready for the season.

enigma-2

Threads
Actually, the magnetic holder, tapered cone and blade spin on a bearing so in fact it Is a dynamic balancer.
No, it's still a static balancer (it's what I use.)

A dynamic balancer would detect off-balance conditions at full speed. Conditions such as air flow, inertia, etc. Simular to an automotive wheel balancer. You can static balance a tire, but it may may be out of balance at 38 mph, or 51 mph. (If you notice, they usually balance at 65 mph as any OB is usually not as noticeable at slower speeds.)

One other commenter wrote that it's better than a cheap cone balancer. I completely agree, no matter how careful you are with a cone balancer (which is MILES ahead of a nail or screwdriver balance) it will almost always be out, abet slight, on a magnetic balancer.

You'll get most of the out-of-balance on a code balancer, and it's foolhardy to go through all the trouble in taking the blades off, sharpening and then not take the extra time to balance.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes you should balance your mower blades when you sharpen them. But really how perfect can you balance a mower blade. Just look at what they are doing, cutting grass. Now when you cut grass your mower blades are going to build up with old dry grass and be out of balance to a small point anyways. So why would you want to spend big money to get them perfect?

chance123

Threads
Now when you cut grass your mower blades are going to build up with old dry grass and be out of balance to a small point anyways. So why would you want to spend big money to get them perfect?

Usually the build up you speak of would be uniform from tip to tip on the blade. The whole idea is to balance the blade as best you possibly can.

enigma-2

Threads
Yes you should balance your mower blades when you sharpen them. But really how perfect can you balance a mower blade. Just look at what they are doing, cutting grass. Now when you cut grass your mower blades are going to build up with old dry grass and be out of balance to a small point anyways. So why would you want to spend big money to get them perfect?
I agree with Chance123, the blade will accumulate dirt and dried grass, but will continue to stay in balance. Any imbalance would tend to throw the grass off. Sort of like getting snow or ice on the tires of your car. It will only stick if there are no forces trying to throw it off. (Usually).

As for the cost, I bought my balancer 'used' on Ebay, so I didn't pay anywhere near retail. I look at the purchase in the same manner as I would purchasing any infrequently-used tool. (Which is what it actually is).

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So your saying if I stuck a wad of gum in each end of the blade the gum would stay there but if only put on one end it would sling off? I hope you are not saying this

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

chance123

Threads
The force of the blade spinning @ 3600 RPM would throw the gum off of both ends.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so how would the grass stay on the blade the same amount on both ends. As you cut grass the blade does and will not wear even on both ends.
The angle you sharping your blade at is more important than a perfect balance

chance123

Threads
Ok so how would the grass stay on the blade the same amount on both ends. As you cut grass the blade does and will not wear even on both ends.
The angle you sharping your blade at is more important than a perfect balance

Grass residue is collected over time evenly. You will never see a clump of grass on one end only after it has been running. For the long life of the engine and bearings, balance has priority.
If a blade wore more on one end, it would be way out of balance. The only explaination for your reasoning would be if you hit a rock or sprinkler head and nicked the leading edge on one end of the blade.

Quote "does and will not" I don't understand this. It seems to contradict