Using your riding mower for snow removal

EverGreen

Threads
What is the best Craftsman riding mower to get a plow for? I have a pretty big driveway and am sick of shoveling or using my electric snow thrower. With the snow fall we have had this year it's been taking forever to clear the snow and I'm ready to buy a plow.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the best Craftsman riding mower to get a plow for? I have a pretty big driveway and am sick of shoveling or using my electric snow thrower. With the snow fall we have had this year it's been taking forever to clear the snow and I'm ready to buy a plow.

Lot of variables but the best to get is the heaviest, most powerful model model available, you are going to need wheel weights and chains and a plow blade, all that extra weight is going to sap whatever power the engine delivers. When trying to bust through deep snow, the extra weight will give more traction and help break through packed snow. I have not looked at Craftsman yard tractors for a LONG time, but I would think you would need a minimum of at least 22-24 horsepower to push serious snow here in Michigan. I have always wondered why Sears has never offered a really serious garden tractor, something like the Deere X500 series, I would consider one because of the low, easy payment plans Sears frequently offers.

RoninVT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's how I do it!

Attachments

• Blowing.jpg
    Blowing.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 32

tomsteve

Threads
if you want to use a plow, along with more power, look at the frame where the axle mounts. ive had a few( including my own) that the frame ripped at the axle mounts because the metal for the frame was pretty thin. theres a lot of torque goin through the rear end and put on the frame when plowing snow.

silver1

Threads

FYI
This a good unit. Used

Attachments

• plow.jpg
    plow.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 23

AnthemBassMan

Threads
Before my Dad bought his Kubota BX25, he used a 1971 Cub Cadet 129 to plow the drive for years. Not the largest driveway, but still pretty healthy. That old Cub had a 12hp Kohler engine in it, and handled the workload pretty decently. But like mentioned earlier, chains and weights are a necessity. Here's a pic of the job it handled. But still. He loves his Kubota quite a bit more.

DadMomsHouse.jpg

L8R,
Matt

Heatdr613

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is what I've used as long as it doesn't get too deep then I go to the case 530.The craftsman II has lots of pushing power and my drive is about 300 feet

Attachments

• 647-610.jpg
    647-610.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 15

kjhansen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use my DYT 4000 and the snowplow blade for it that I bought at Sears. Works OK as long as you a) use chains, and b) take the belly mower off. The belly mower doesn't work as a snow blower, trust me. I have the wheel weights but never found them necessary if you use chains. 200 lbs of me on the seat seems to be enough.
Don't wait until you've got 12 inches or more of snow either. Been doing it for years here in Missouri.
kjhansen