Rebuild vs Replace

jcobo

Threads
Is there any value in rebuilding an engine, over 15 years old, compared with replacing it?

If it is replaced would it be worth while to increase the horse power?

The engine is on a 12hp Gravely Commercial, that it is used for tilling and ploughing in a heavy clay loam soil.

Thanks
John

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did it seem under powered before??

If you come across a good used engine that will adapt ... use it.
If the cost of parts to rebuild are reasonable, and you don't have any machining that you can't do yourself... then rebuilding is a great way to go. almost everything is rebuildable... :smile:KennyV

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
In my opinion, it would be very worth it. Since you're not sure, you could shop around a bit and get some prices in your area on the parts you need to rebuild the engine. That would probably be the best and only way to know for sure :)

jcobo

Threads
Did it seem under powered before??

If you come across a good used engine that will adapt ... use it.
If the cost of parts to rebuild are reasonable, and you don't have any machining that you can't do yourself... then rebuilding is a great way to go. almost everything is rebuildable... :smile:KennyV

Kenny
Not too badly under powered using the rotary plough, rototiller is very under powered.
Only found well abused engines
Parts are available on Ebay, not a mechanic, I'd have to lock myself in the garage and stay there until the job is done.

Thanks

jcobo

Threads
In my opinion, it would be very worth it. Since you're not sure, you could shop around a bit and get some prices in your area on the parts you need to rebuild the engine. That would probably be the best and only way to know for sure :)

Abeja
Parts are available on Ebay, but I am not a mechanic, I'd have to lock myself in the garage and stay there until the job is done.

The tractor is a bit under powered with the rototiller.

Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well if it has proven to be under powered,
This may be the perfect time to mount more power.

Is the rest of your machine in good condition?
What make engine is on it now ? is it a vertical or horizontal ?

Do you have a source of reasonably priced replacement engines?
:smile:KennyV

Bobrien

Threads
Does anyone know what a ball park estimate of re-building an engine such as a 12 hp motor would normally cost? Also, is there a recommendation on what type of repair facility to select? For example, would it be better to take it to a dealership like John Deere, or to a lawnmower shop?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does anyone know what a ball park estimate of re-building an engine such as a 12 hp motor would normally cost? Also, is there a recommendation on what type of repair facility to select? For example, would it be better to take it to a dealership like John Deere, or to a lawnmower shop?

If you are not going to do it yourself....
Take it to a shop that rebuilds lots of engines...
Dealerships do NOT rebuild lots of engines, they sell end products & their service departments mostly R&R components....
If your going to have someone else do the work... check around for a mower/small engine shop that rebuilds engines... :smile:KennyV

Bobrien

Threads
If you are not going to do it yourself....
Take it to a shop that rebuilds lots of engines...
Dealerships do NOT rebuild lots of engines, they sell end products & their service departments mostly R&R components....
If your going to have someone else do the work... check around for a mower/small engine shop that rebuilds engines... :smile:KennyV

That is real good advice. Locally, I've noticed that the JD dealerships are focusing more on selling things and have added ACE Hardware stores. They know their products, but it does seem like they might not be the best choice for re-building the engine. Before I purchased the used engine, I did call the local JD service shop and they wanted about $1,000 to work on it, or to replace it with a Kohler engine. I thought that was a bit high. I understand that the 460V isn't in production anymore and that there is a Kohler equivalent. I love my 165 so much and would like to keep it going as long as I can still get parts.

I'll check local small engine repair shops. Thank you for your advice.