Whats Best rwd self propelled mower for $350-400?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Narrow your search down to a Toro model 20384 or Honda. It's no surprise to anyone on this forum I'm a big fan of the Toro and feel they are the best, but I would spend a little more on the cast deck and the better drive wheels of the 20384.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't have a honda mower and do not know much about them. But I see a lot of people come here because it won't start or something is wrong with the drive.

mhx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have a honda mower and do not know much about them. But I see a lot of people come here because it won't start or something is wrong with the drive.

you should read the homedepot reviews for the one above. all kinds of people complain about the honda and its carb and its drive train.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
you should read the homedepot reviews for the one above. all kinds of people complain about the honda and its carb and its drive train.

I have this mower its a good machine people complain about carbs because they don't use gas fast enough I hqge the vka the smart drive I love it takes some getting use to but works good.

Any machine will be great as long as you take care of it properly I mean any machine.... Comes down to features and personal things such as personal pace vs smart drive. Whether or not you need blade brake if your going to mostly mulch or bag ... The Honda is not top end but in your price range its going to be close to the best find what features you want and you will find your mower just take care of it

bwdbrn1

Threads
Best advise I can give is to buy from a dedicated dealer, regardless of the brand. A good relationship with a dealer that you can come to know and trust will pay off in the long run when it comes time to have the mower serviced or wish to know anything about it beyond what the owner's manual tells you. I'd also recommend asking the dealership to take the mower for a test drive so that you can get a first hand feel of the mower you are interested in. If you look long and hard enough on this, or any forum, you'll find people that love or hate something about certain mowers, and dropping a few hundred dollars on something that someone else says they like may not be the best fit for you in the long run.

Honda and Toro are consistently at the top of the list of Consumer Reports magazines best, and probably with good reason. Personally, I've had the good fortune of having used Hondas, Toros, Snappers, and Lawn Boys that had rear wheel drive. Each had features I liked, and features I didn't, but I wouldn't have known of them if I hadn't used them first.

Kevin999

Forum Newbie
Threads
The main thing to buy with a quality motor, basically, you always pay for the motor.I bought a nice Honda mower https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-gas-lawn-mowers/ and I know that Honda makes a fine motor.But sometimes I have issues with the self-propelled mechanism.But engine worked flawlessly, however. My friend has The Husqvarna with the Honda engine, it's perfect combo as for me:wink:

attachment.php

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
AVOID TROY-BILT !! or, buy lot's of Excedrin !! .... :thumbdown:..:thumbdown:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kevin, you better start thinking again. I have three pallets of good engines which have come off cheap decks. First thing to look for is the type of drive, metal drive gears to plastic wheel gears don’t last long and you’ll be constantly replacing drive wheels. Second is the material and thickness of the deck. Light gage steel flexs to much and will crack easily. Third is how the handle is attached. I refuse to reweld handle brackets back to decks. Finally engines, which in today’s market is best left to you gut feelings. Everyone has their favorite and I’m not going to recommend one over the other in this thread.