Old Push mower

monica123

Threads
I am looking for a way to refurbish my push mower. The type without a mower, is it possible to sharpen it up or am I just stuck with a glorified lawn ornament.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am guessing it's a reel type..
If the bed knife is still in good shape, you can, with a bit of ingenuity come up with a method of sharpening the reels...
If they only need to be sharpened, you can use valve lapping compound and they will lap in easily...
If they need to have nicks removed and reshaped, you mount a sharpening strip, like The Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit...
Here is a short you tube video ... YouTube - How to Sharpen a Push Reel Mower: Scotts Classic
Those can be fun old mowers... well worth keeping and using.. :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am guessing it's a reel type..
If the bed knife is still in good shape, you can, with a bit of ingenuity come up with a method of sharpening the reels...
If they only need to be sharpened, you can use valve lapping compound and they will lap in easily...
If they need to have nicks removed and reshaped, you mount a sharpening strip, like The Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit...
Here is a short you tube video ... YouTube - How to Sharpen a Push Reel Mower: Scotts Classic
Those can be fun old mowers... well worth keeping and using.. :smile:KennyV

Thanks for that link, KennyV, I've got a three old reel mowers sitting in my basement. If I could sharpen them they might be of use to somebody.

monica123

Threads
Thanks for the link, my husband was very happy to hear he could potentially tinker with it and revamp it into a usable thing. He hates throwing things away that still have a use.

greengrass

Threads
If you can end up fixing it can you post some progress on the job? Right now we have one that we are debating if its worth it to fix or chuck it and we have had it for years so I would really like to keep it if at all possible.

mois25

Threads
Never been a good idea to get rid of any old stuff especially given that the same cannot be easily found nowadays. I would be curious to hear about any progress on your end.