Repairs D140 Transmission Replacement Labor

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh by the way I don't buy the 1 hour transmission change.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh by the way I don't buy the 1 hour transmission change.

I agree with you on most things.
But I can change out a transaxle on a riding mower in under a hour.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ya its a few bolts and a belt lol

PJ

Threads
Hey Everybody, I broke something on the left rear axle of my D140 when I went through a grassy ditch more quickly than intended. The day after mowing I found a considerable amount of tan oil under the mower and oil and dirt on the inside of the tire and wheel where apparently some leaked while I was finishing. A local repair technician told me the repair kit for the damage I did is about $500 and a new transmission is about $700 and he recommends the new transmission as my mower has 97 hours on it. I found a JD dealer on eBay who had three MIA10910 transmissions for $550/free ship. I bought one and am curious as to how many hours labor should I expect to pay to have it installed? I don't know if this is a two hour job or a six hour job and need some coaching. I posted a medium rez photo in case that's of any value. Thanks for the help. I'm a "weekender" as a builder buddy likes to call amateurs but have learned a lot on topics posted here an appreciate the time you guys take to post and respond. Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas, Steve

Hi

Is the Technician saying that the transmission is damage beyond repair and what exactly broke for him to suggest replacement? If so one would need mor info before replacing the complete transmision

PJ

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

One thing I would never do is quote time. I find in this type of work things can go wrong. Yes two tractors side by side and everything go's right maybe with a experience mechanic. Just what do you know personally about this OP that I don't to say he can change this trans axle in less then 1 hour? I have see some cob jobs in my years also. One of the things I would do on a job like this is take the transmission from the broken tractor apart seeing it has such few hours on it. Then does this OP own a salvage yard to just exchange the trans axle with another tractor? I find myself that I can just spend hours just looking for parts. Then for me I am looking at a two hour round trip drive to the salvage yard with another few hours at the salvage yard looking for a trans axle. To change a transaxle in less then one hour is a BS story. The last one I replaced was a new one from the dealer and it took the dealer over a week to get it because he had to order it. I also recall that job was close to a 1000 dollars and that was on a JD. Lets live in the real world here.

dleebold

Forum Newbie
Threads
How can anyone quote a price to repair something or know what parts it needs without taking it apart. I have been doing this work for years now and I will tell I can't do it. Just maybe a snap came off the axle end and the axle came out. Cost less then 1 dollar + labor. It sure looks to me like someone wants to get into your shorts.
Transmission: Kanzaki Tuff Torq T40

sdsra

Threads
Boy you are fast.

You don't have to come on here with your smart a-- remarks, all I can say is you must really work slow and don't come back with another remark because I won't be back on here again.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't have to come on here with your smart a-- remarks, all I can say is you must really work slow and don't come back with another remark because I won't be back on here again.

Good for you fast boy. I do see work like that, fast and poor quality. Back in my younger years we called it flat rate and yes I did work for some shops like that. Get the job done and go to the next one. Change all the transmissions you want in a 1 hour time but it isn't going to happen in my shop. By the way also I will come here all I want and if you don't like it don't read it.

sdsra

Threads
Good for you fast boy. I do see work like that, fast and poor quality. Back in my younger years we called it flat rate and yes I did work for some shops like that. Get the job done and go to the next one. Change all the transmissions you want in a 1 hour time but it isn't going to happen in my shop. By the way also I will come here all I want and if you don't like it don't read it.

Dear Reynoldston, If you read my words correctly you would see I didn't suggest you not coming back to this site. through out my life I have run into a few persons like you that think they are god ( small letters )all I did was try to help another person on the forum to solve a problem and you jump all over me, I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be but I did change a transaxle in less than an hour, there is nothing technical about doing that so if it takes you longer then you must be slow and ripping off your customer. Have another cup of coffee and Reynoldston, go lay down in a corner and lick your nutz.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dear Reynoldston, If you read my words correctly you would see I didn't suggest you not coming back to this site. through out my life I have run into a few persons like you that think they are god ( small letters )all I did was try to help another person on the forum to solve a problem and you jump all over me, I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be but I did change a transaxle in less than an hour, there is nothing technical about doing that so if it takes you longer then you must be slow and ripping off your customer. Have another cup of coffee and Reynoldston, go lay down in a corner and lick your nutz.

I am thinking he can change it out in a hour but he is adding all his time up.
Talking to the owner Picking up the mower. Finding a rearend. Finding tools and so on.

It really is a easy job. I would think with a shop with a lift and air tools I could shave 10 mins off my time of 40 mins.