Honda stuck valve

skybolt31

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda snow blower with a G200 side valve engine and the exhaust valve is stuck open. I tried warming the engine and tapping on the side, but had no luck. I was thinking of spraying some penetrating oil under the valve head. I can see it through the spark plug hole, I can see the intake valve opening and closing and the piston going up and down, and can just see the edge of the exhaust valve which doesn't move.

Any quick fixes to this? I am contemplating removing the head or the muffler to try to free this up.

thanks

Bruce Green
Massachusetts

possum

Threads
Try the penetrating oil. Sometimes the valve has to be freed up by turning on it and pushing. But try the lube first.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would also say try the penetrating oil. If you can get the valve spring cover off easy maybe you can work the valve from there.

tybilly

Threads
have you removed the valve cover and inspected the valve retainers?you may have just had one come loose,or a worn or broken valve spring.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
have you removed the valve cover and inspected the valve retainers?you may have just had one come loose,or a worn or broken valve spring.

You have me confused here? Did he not say side valve engine? This tells me that this is a flat head engine without a valve cover? This is why I called it a valve spring cover but then you could still call it a valve cover also. I do own a Honda flat head so I will just have to go give it a better look seeing I am just guessing here.

skybolt31

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a side valve engine and I have not removed the spring cover on the side. My suspicion is that it is not a retainer, but the valve is stuck in the guide. I have been using leaded fuel from the airport because it is very stable, however it may have caused this problem. So my first shot is the penetrating oil and let it seep down the valve stem. Then I am inclined to remove the muffler and perhaps access the stem through the exhaust port and try to free it up that way. Thanks for the ideas.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a side valve engine and I have not removed the spring cover on the side. My suspicion is that it is not a retainer, but the valve is stuck in the guide. I have been using leaded fuel from the airport because it is very stable, however it may have caused this problem. So my first shot is the penetrating oil and let it seep down the valve stem. Then I am inclined to remove the muffler and perhaps access the stem through the exhaust port and try to free it up that way. Thanks for the ideas.

If you can get to the valve at all it doesn't take that much with penetrating oil if you can move the valve a small amount.

skybolt31

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you can get to the valve at all it doesn't take that much with penetrating oil if you can move the valve a small amount.

I ended up taking the head off and pushed the valve down. It snapped back down, but then stuck again when I pulled it through. Had to cycle it about 25 times before it was free. Put it back together and it runs fine. I reused the head gasket though, so I should probably get a new one and be ready to change it out.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I ended up taking the head off and pushed the valve down. It snapped back down, but then stuck again when I pulled it through. Had to cycle it about 25 times before it was free. Put it back together and it runs fine. I reused the head gasket though, so I should probably get a new one and be ready to change it out.

Through the years I have used the old head gaskets over many times. When I do use a head gasket over I give it a coat of shellac. I'm going to say you are OK to go.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put new gasket on every time you remove a part that has a gasket on it including head gasket.