Honda stuck valve

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why? If the old gasket is good why change it?

Once you tightened the bolts down it smashes the gasket and leaves a impression on it. So do you think will happen if you tightened a up carb, cylinderhead gasket, etc. that already has that impression on that used gasket? It will probably have air leak, right?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Once you tightened the bolts down it smashes the gasket and leaves a impression on it. So do you think will happen if you tightened a up carb, cylinderhead gasket, etc. that already has that impression on that used gasket? It will probably have air leak, right?

I see one more time we don't agree but that's OK because we don't have to. I don't change every gasket on every job if the old gasket is still good and I don't have leaks. Yes I will change a gasket if it gets hard, brittle, and breaks. On some of the older jobs seeing its hard to find new gaskets, its even more so. On them I will use a sealant or if need be make a new gasket. This also go's for seals and bearings which if they are still OK I don't replace them. I can be a little a little on the tight side when it comes to spending money when I don't have to.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see one more time we don't agree but that's OK because we don't have to. I don't change every gasket on every job if the old gasket is still good and I don't have leaks. Yes I will change a gasket if it gets hard, brittle, and breaks. On some of the older jobs seeing its hard to find new gaskets, its even more so. On them I will use a sealant or if need be make a new gasket. This also go's for seals and bearings which if they are still OK I don't replace them. I can be a little a little on the tight side when it comes to spending money when I don't have to.

Yea, Its ok to point out our differences respectfully. I dont use sealant either. If I have to sealant then there's a bad part that needs to be replaced because its warped. If the engine manufacturer wanted us use to sealant then they would have done so when the engine is new or put out service bulletin about it. When someone brings there equipment to fix I do the permanent fix not a temporary band aide fix such reusing old gaskets and using sealants etc. I dont want piece equipment coming back after leaving that first time cause reusing gaskets and sealant didnt work.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You might want to look into some of the newer sealants. They have come a long way on them since the horse and buggy days. One heck of a lot cheaper then changing parts for no reason. You have a very good plan there but you sure wouldn't be working on my equipment. Some cases don't use gaskets at all but use anaerobic sealant. What do you do there just replace?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might want to look into some of the newer sealants. They have come a long way on them since the horse and buggy days. One heck of a lot cheaper then changing parts for no reason. You have a very good plan there but you sure wouldn't be working on my equipment. Some cases don't use gaskets at all but use anaerobic sealant. What do you do there just replace?

I haven't ran into anything that doesnt use gaskets and just the anaerobic sealant yet in small engines. In automotive I would inspect the part warp with a straight edge and use sealant if the part isnt warped or damaged from wear.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I haven't ran into anything that doesnt use gaskets and just the anaerobic sealant yet in small engines. In automotive I would inspect the part warp with a straight edge and use sealant if the part isnt warped or damaged from wear.

The only time I get into automotive anymore is when I am forced into it. The last car engine I got into was a whole different story as far as gaskets and torques go. But this is more a small engine and mower forum. Where the anaerobic sealant is used on aluminum engine cases where they are machined together where they need bearing clearances. Now back to the original question. The OP used their old head gasket over. Yes as a rule I would say install new head gaskets. They didn't and for what ever reason I don't know. I have been it that part of a repair on some older engines and just couldn't find parts anymore seeing the don't make them anymore. What I will do is clean the head and cylinder top real well. Then I will determine how the old gasket came off. I will coat the gasket with a shellac type sealant and install it the way it came off. I have never ran into any problems doing this. I just don't see why the OP needs to do the job over unless they blow out the old gasket. I just don't take a straight on everything I take apart and just don't feel everything doesn't need a new gasket. How do other repair shops handle this?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know my buddies shop would replace the head gasket instead reusing it. His shop stay 4-6 weeks behind in the spring/summer and probably 2-3 or 3-4 in the winter months.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know my buddies shop would replace the head gasket instead reusing it. His shop stay 4-6 weeks behind in the spring/summer and probably 2-3 or 3-4 in the winter months.

Now we aren't talking about a shop here but a home owner that did the repair on the kitchen table??? I don't know what your buddy doses for repairs. But if he has a unlimited parts supply good for him but I don't and the OP didn't. Now didn't I say I do replace them when I can and I am sure the OP would of if he had one. I even have to go to mower salvage yards to buy used parts that aren't made anymore. Your buddy must work on all newer equipment or I am sure he would run into the same problem unless he knows of a place that sells new old stock? If so let me in on this secret place.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now we aren't talking about a shop here but a home owner that did the repair on the kitchen table??? I don't know what your buddy doses for repairs. But if he has a unlimited parts supply good for him but I don't and the OP didn't. Now didn't I say I do replace them when I can and I am sure the OP would of if he had one. I even have to go to mower salvage yards to buy used parts that aren't made anymore. Your buddy must work on all newer equipment or I am sure he would run into the same problem unless he knows of a place that sells new old stock? If so let me in on this secret place.

Thats not what you put at the end of your last post.