Questions about AMSOIL Sabre 100:1 in Lawn Boy Duraforce Engines?

unclelee

Threads
  • / Questions about AMSOIL Sabre 100:1 in Lawn Boy Duraforce Engines?
Lol...Bob is the oil guy forums have had this same discussion for years...but all two cycle engines are not the same in design. Newer engines​ have roller bearings and have improved lubrication technology, older two cycles have bushings..Even duel bushings. So I don't think that any oil manufacturer can boast a one size fits all mix ratio and still be considered trust worthy.
Maybe going with what is proven to work is old fashioned...But if I am still around when your equipment has ran 40 or 50 years at 100:1 you can tell me I am wrong for mixing to manufacturer specs.

Teds

Threads
I think what's sometimes missed, is we're not comparing apples to apples. Oil technology has improved in the last 60 years.

Nobody is advocating running LawnBoy _Oil_ at 70-1 or 100-1. 32-1 ratio with LawnBoy oil has always been good for fogging mosquitos, but it sure plugs up the muffler with sludge. The hardest part is trusting a manufacturer when they have such diluted mixing ratios. While certain things on the internet forums should be taken with a grain of salt, I've read enough unsolicited testimonials from folks, particularly professionals, to think maybe it's not all snake oil. I bought a flat of single use Opti-2 pouches from that auction site. When those ran out a few years later, I bought a gallon jug and a hand pump. 2 pumps is enough for 1 gallon. Gallon should last a loooong time! If either my lawnmower or snoblower blows up or siezes, I'll let you guys know.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think what's sometimes missed, is we're not comparing apples to apples. Oil technology has improved in the last 60 years.

Nobody is advocating running LawnBoy _Oil_ at 70-1 or 100-1. 32-1 ratio with LawnBoy oil has always been good for fogging mosquitos, but it sure plugs up the muffler with sludge. The hardest part is trusting a manufacturer when they have such diluted mixing ratios. While certain things on the internet forums should be taken with a grain of salt, I've read enough unsolicited testimonials from folks, particularly professionals, to think maybe it's not all snake oil. I bought a flat of single use Opti-2 pouches from that auction site. When those ran out a few years later, I bought a gallon jug and a hand pump. 2 pumps is enough for 1 gallon. Gallon should last a loooong time! If either my lawnmower or snoblower blows up or siezes, I'll let you guys know.

And as "Tonto" (the faithful Indian companion) would say to " The Lone Ranger " HMmm that RIGHT ...Kemosabe !

100 to 1 mix ... works in all of them ... Amsoil & Opti-2 ...best 2 cycle mixers made !!!

unclelee

Threads
The best thing about these oil threads is that all the people that void their warranty and devalue their equipment in the market place, tell you that is what they have done.

TonyPrin

Threads
The best thing about these oil threads is that all the people that void their warranty and devalue their equipment in the market place, tell you that is what they have done.
This would be a boring forum if everyone knew what they were doing.

jp1961

Threads
I've only come across 1 Duraforce out of 5, that was truly wore out (bearing wear). Too bad I don't know what oil and ratio was used on that engine. It could be the engine just had many, many hours on it.

I have read threads on RCUniverse of guys runnings gas engines (2 cycles) in RC airplanes that ran their engine on 100:1 mix (synthetic oil), resulting in bearing failure.

Being old school (actually just old,,,lol), I agree with Lee and use 32:1.

I seem to recall some ultralight airplane manufacturer that tested several Rotax 2 cycle engines with various oils. After running each engine for several hundred hours, they found the engine that used Lawn-Boy generation II ashless oil showed the least wear on the internal engine components.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

lewb

Threads
If you can find some power valve rated 2 stroke oil, that would be the best at not building up in exhaust port running at 32 to 1. Even if you buy a gallon of 2 stroke oil at 40.00 (or 10.00 a Qt)a gallon that will not build up in exhaust port how long will that gallon last? Mowing my 5000 sq ft lawn once a week starting in mid April to Oct I will probably go through 5 gallons of gas. That is only 20 oz or 3/4 of qt. Amazon is probably the best place to find power valve rated 2-stroke oil that usually get shipped without shipping cost. Amsoil saber is power valve rated.

Teds

Threads
I agree that LawnBoy oil is designed to be run at 32-1, it would be foolish indeed to try and run "leaner" than this. Earlier mowers used straight weight motor oil at 16-1 ratio.

The key point to keep in mind here that seems to be missed, it's the oil itself that determines the mix ratio, not the equipment per se.

I was skeptical myself, but I have been using opti-2 for several years. What sealed the deal for me was one mix for all 2 stroke equipment. If you dig around there are a lot of professionals using it, people who can't afford downtime and need to get maximum use out of their equipment. They will run their gear in a week than some of us do all summer. If it didn't work they wouldn't use it, and we'd hear about it.

Excessive carbon plugs the muffler, and directly contributes to ring and cylinder scoring and/or glazing. Keeping the engine tuned is important. Keep an eye on the plugs, a 2 stroke won't burn as clean as a 4 stroke but the plugs should be dry and relatively clean burning.

Excessive oil in the mix actually leans out the air fuel ratio, a lot of folks think a little "extra" oil in the fuel mix protects the engine. It doesn't work that way!

nhyrum

Threads
If it's one oil I'd trust to run that lean, it's Amsoil. Just read some of their articles.

You can always run it halved. If ur calls for 32:1 run 64:1. It's easy to do the math and use a can specifically for it.

Or, if I feel I'm stretching the mix, I'll use leaded fuel, hoping the lead will do it's job and lubricate. In the years I've been doing that, pistons, chambers, pins and bearings look great. Much much better, cleaner, and less wear than relatives that use cheap oil at a rich mixture.

dalowryda

Forum Newbie
Threads
If no one has pointed this out amsoil saber professional passes all the standardized tests for 50:1 ratio but at 100:1 ratio 🤷‍♂️ I run all my equipment at 90-95:1 including a gold series 6.5 duraforce lawnboy

Last edited: