Questions about AMSOIL Sabre 100:1 in Lawn Boy Duraforce Engines?

LB8210

Threads
  • / Questions about AMSOIL Sabre 100:1 in Lawn Boy Duraforce Engines?
At 100:1 who is going to pay for a blown or worn out motor? The outboard motor companies tried it and and after thousands of motors blew up and replaced while in warranty they went back to 50:1 and these were full bearing motors that were water cooled not hotter running air cooled motors. And running a 16:1 motor bushing equipped motor at 100:1 ? Since any one doing so must feel oil is more costly than parts that may be very hard to find and at a high price. Oil is cheaper than parts and labor. Also when storing your motors this is what synthetic motor companies don' tell you about, synthetic motor and at 100:1 doesn't provide protection against internal rusting of motor parts and you may find a 100:1 motor stuck from sitting when unused in as little time as one month. A 16:1 motor may sit for 50years and suffer no ill affects protected by the fossil oil. Using current Lawn Boy oil at 32:1 in a full bearing 1972 and up Lawn Boy motor does not carbon up ports or stick the piston rings or fowl the plug. Having run very old two stroke motors on modern name brand ie: Lawn Boy Mercury Evinrude Johnson TCW oil at the manufactures recommended ratio of 8 to 1 and not fowled the plug or stuck the rings or worn out the cyls., pistons or bearings why use a oil at any ratio less than the engineer that designed it recommended. These factory engineers know more about their motors than the persons using these motors or an oil company salesman.

jakewells

Threads
I use lucas 2t at 32:1 no smoke,stink,gunk pretty much trouble free since I got away from outboard oils that plugged my muffler and exhaust ports
cheap also at 4.99 quart.

earthworm

Threads
I use lucas 2t at 32:1 no smoke,stink,gunk pretty much trouble free since I got away from outboard oils that plugged my muffler and exhaust ports
cheap also at 4.99 quart.
I'd sooner err on the side of having a well lubed engine
NO to 100-1
YES to 50-1 , roughly , NOT exactly.
And I use a synthetic blend from Ace.
no troubles yet ; have been two stroking for nigh 50 years

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd sooner err on the side of having a well lubed engine
NO to 100-1
YES to 50-1 , roughly , NOT exactly.
And I use a synthetic blend from Ace.
no troubles yet ; have been two stroking for nigh 50 years

Yes very much so YES to 100-1 Amsoil. I have been in the repair business well over 65 years. Lubrication has come a long ways in them years. It was 16-1 with 30 non detergent in my starting years or your 50 years ago. Come on, get with the times of today. Don't take my word for it but contact Amsoil and they can explain it much better then I can.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes very much so YES to 100-1 Amsoil. I have been in the repair business well over 65 years. Lubrication has come a long ways in them years. It was 16-1 with 30 non detergent in my starting years or your 50 years ago. Come on, get with the times of today. Don't take my word for it but contact Amsoil and they can explain it much better then I can.

So you are over 80 years old?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
90? Wow, I am impressed...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you are over 80 years old?

Might of pushed it on the years a bit with a little BS. I am 73 years old. I was also raised as a child on a farm and equipment was a way of life. I do recall the old chain saws because we ran a fruit farm and remember mixing the oil in the gas. We would fill quart glass contained out of a large barrel of oil. Also it was to me one oil that went into everything from tractors to chainsaws. Now as far as age go's how much do you remember as a child. I do recall in the middle 60's running snowmobiles and buying spark plugs by the case.

LB8210

Threads
The modern oils by Lawn Boy Mercury Johnson Evinrude do not carbon up the ports rings or pistons or foul plugs at 32to1 for Lawn Boy use. Nor at 16to1 in Lawn Boys. My experience using ratios as high as 4to1 also did not foul plugs on racing antique outboards or at 16to1 in bushing equipped classic 50s outboards. No one has talked about what happens to bearing equipped motors run on 100 or 50 to 1 ratios of synthetic oil when not in service for less than 1 month.They have and do get stuck, the rings rust to the cylinder walls and if that is happening you will also have rusting on the needles and journals. Leaving ridges on the journal surfaces which can and have caused engine failures. So as good as you may think synthetics are they have their own weaknesses. Using motors at less than the designed ratios set by the engineers smart enough to design them is ????. Modern oil TCW3 of the above manufactures will protect these motors in use and in storage better. Older motors that spent their lives running on oil at 32 or 8 to1 ratios have survived in large numbers in usable condition. Look at the number of survivors from the 50to1 era, they are found worn out if runnable at all, and in much smaller numbers. The outboard manufactures also recommended in the operators manuals that 50to1 motors used for water skiing or run at WOT for long periods to use 24to1 ratios for oil.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
90? Wow, I am impressed...

I am glade you are impressed, it sure making me fell warm and fuzzy all over. Its almost like having sex.

qd-16

Threads
Very well said LB8210! This is why it is so much easier to find surviving 3 horse Johnson/Evinrudes from the 50's than from the 60's and 70's when OMC went from a 16:1 to the 50:1 recommended oil mix.

I fixed and sold old outboard motors for a while and people were always amazed that the motors they had required a 16:1 fuel mix and not 50:1 like everything else.