Lawn Boy Model 10515 won't start

RENeal

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Mother has a 1995 Model 10515 that will not start. It has about 110 lbs. of compression and has spark. I spray starting fluid in the carb and it will not even fire. My guess is that it is a timing issue, but I am not sure if a 2 cycle can be out of time ?? It seems as if she has had problems with this mower for awhile. It is in real good shape and I have committed to her that I could make it run. Any suggestions to help me save my reputation would be appreciated. Thanks :confused:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the PTO and Mag seals. May have compression, but not getting fuel into the crankcase.

turfboy1997

Threads
My Mother has a 1995 Model 10515 that will not start. It has about 110 lbs. of compression and has spark. I spray starting fluid in the carb and it will not even fire. My guess is that it is a timing issue, but I am not sure if a 2 cycle can be out of time ?? It seems as if she has had problems with this mower for awhile. It is in real good shape and I have committed to her that I could make it run. Any suggestions to help me save my reputation would be appreciated. Thanks :confused:

yes a 2 cycle can be out of time. There is a flywheel key on the crankshaft. The key could be sheared and that could cause it to spark at the wrong time. i would start there since it did not even try to fire with the starting fluid. let us know what you find and if you have any more questions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To check for a sheared key you have to remove the flywheel, so then you check the made seal. Might just as well check the PTO seal first.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

Priming a two-cycle engine with starting fluid is a bad idea since it doesn't have oil mixed with the fuel. Use regular two-cycle mixture.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

RENeal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got the thing to fire. Looked at the key and keyway as suggested and it was fine. Put it back together and poured a little gas in the carb and it fired. Apparently the starting fluid would not let/make it fire.

Next issue: I put the fuel tank back on and it leaked gasoline around the shut off valve. I took it apart and decided I should replace the rubber seal inside. Called Jack's Small engine parts and they said it was no longer available and I should try to "make" something. Any ideas? Is there a way to make something to keep the valve from leaking? Any ideas where I may find one of the seals. If I just flipped the seal would that work? Thanks

Attachments

• 20131214_115750_resized.jpg
    20131214_115750_resized.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 10

impalass

Threads
I got the thing to fire. Looked at the key and keyway as suggested and it was fine. Put it back together and poured a little gas in the carb and it fired. Apparently the starting fluid would not let/make it fire.

Next issue: I put the fuel tank back on and it leaked gasoline around the shut off valve. I took it apart and decided I should replace the rubber seal inside. Called Jack's Small engine parts and they said it was no longer available and I should try to "make" something. Any ideas? Is there a way to make something to keep the valve from leaking? Any ideas where I may find one of the seals. If I just flipped the seal would that work? Thanks
If the seal is not hard make sure every is clean and retry it.

Phototone

Threads
That rubber seal was the same over a couple of decades of Lawnboy mowers, although they changed the shape and length of the shut-off lever. Your best bet is to go on ebay and look for a replacement lever/seal kit. Then just discard the lever if it doesn't match yours, use your old lever. Use the new seal, washer and clamp.

shelby5041

Threads

I have same lawn boy 2 cycle mower..i have spark but wont try to start

I spray starting fluid in plug hole and still wont fire.....one person said you need oil in mixture but i disagree....to get it ti fire you dont need oil....

Any ideas why it wouldnt start?