Snow thrower attachment belt issues

RJRichard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2011 craftsman YT3000 21HP
Lawn tractor with a Craftsman 42"-2 stage snow thrower attachment,model no.486.248381.
I'm having issues with the large Auger belt coming off. I tightened up the tensioning chain,as suggested in the manual,and it still comes off.(not the most pleasant experience when it's cold and snowing)
I repositioned the Clutch/idler assembly,thinking it was too far forward on the tractor. I began breaking belts(2@$40/belt!)
I repositioned the assembly to its original place,and now I'm back to throwing belts!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RJRichard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Followed instructions to a"T"

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Followed instructions to a"T"

Take your time and carefully read pages 10, 11, 12, especially important notices. Important: Do Not assemble

Pages 10, 11, 12, Important: Do Not assemble "v" belt outside of the engine pulley keepers or outside of the keeper bolt next to the large pulley.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would check are the pulleys. Are the bearings true, pulleys not wobbling or worn.

Norseman3971

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same issue. Same tractor and same blower.

I will fix mine this year. However this is a known issue with this set up.

When you have the blower in up position. You will notice the belt is aligned with all pulleys.

Now put your blower in the down position. You will notice that the tension is no longer aligned up and the belt is pulled down due to the blower being in the down position.

I chewed up several EXPENSIVE belts. Found the issue on a few other forums and decided to postpone fixing till this season (2013/2014). I will simply run a rod across , just below the attach point, and put a couple of idler pulleys on it to keep belt up. I'll attempt to go off the 5/8 bolt ends and modify from there....

If you must go buy a belt, rather than spending too much at Sears until you get it fixed. Get it from this place. A lot cheaper....
B111 V-Belt - $9.17
No. I do not sell for them. I just found cheaper belts there than running to darn sears......

You'll need a V-band belt. 21/32 wide at the outside. 114 inches.

If you find a solution better then mine, let me know. I have not completed the fix yet. But it is known problem with the manufacturer of the blower. They just keep choosing to ignore it and we get stuck with replacing belts.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Norseman3971

Forum Newbie
Threads
I attempted my modification. The two lower bolts 5/8 size for the snowblower attachment just between the tractor and blower. I put a 5/8 threaded rod with two 3/4" steel rollers. Lined up perfectly.

Problem is the rollers going over the threads created so much friction that it melted the belt.

Now have 2 idler pulleys on order. 5/8 inside width. 2 5/8 diameter.

I'll need to lower it a bit as it won't be the right height, I will go off the 5/8 bolts and drop it about 2 inches or so. Will use a 5/8 steel rod that is smooth this time so the bearing in the pulley will sit on it. Then use a lock collar with set screw to stop the pulleys from moving.

We'll see how this goes. But I may need to move to a 115" belt vice a 114" to accommodate the pulleys when the blower is down.

Should know if it is fixed in a week. Thankfully Wisconsin is getting enough snow to trouble shoot it and get it fixed right. Before the big snow hits.

de dee

Threads
Lawn tractor with a Craftsman 42"-2 stage snow thrower attachment,model no.486.248381.
I'm having issues with the large Auger belt coming off. I tightened up the tensioning chain,as suggested in the manual,and it still comes off.(not the most pleasant experience when it's cold and snowing)
I repositioned the Clutch/idler assembly,thinking it was too far forward on the tractor. I began breaking belts(2@$40/belt!)
I repositioned the assembly to its original place,and now I'm back to throwing belts!

where does one find out the belt sizes with out taking the belts off and measuring them, I just bought a new tractor from sears, a PGT 9000,.26 HP. the sears # is 944.602830 and I installed a snow blower a northeast 2 stage 44 inch #c 151 61826 3 44,. I think it is made by berco ,. for sears,. the sales man said they were built in canada , but on the ID. it is built in the usa by husqvarna, the tag says family (bpwepnheqt01) with a kohler twin cyl. eng. model #sv735 type #3030 thank you for any help,. PS. how does one get on this forum to be listed as a owner member to start a thread, I have limited computer skills,. cant send a picture or anything like that,.

de dee

Threads

I am reading my book, for the snow blower do you have a second hole in the leaver for the spring tentioner to put more tention on the belt,. or the spring could be streached and not putting enough preasure on the belt, you may have to get another spring, or double another spring on it,. best of luck with yours and a merry Xmas,.

blkriv95

Forum Newbie
Threads
Norseman -

Was wondering if your roller mod for your Craftsman snow thrower worked for you. I did the same rod mod that other forums recommended last spring (before truly testing it out on snow) but I finally tried it out today. The auger belt did not break or slip off and had a good straight line/angle in the down position but my conduit pipe (as a roller) over the threaded rod made too much heat as well. It wasn't too bad but wondering if your 2" rollers and a longer belt did the trick.

If it worked good, can you post or email some pictures on your final product? I was thinking of using some type of ball bearing roller / pulley for the threaded rod but couldn't find a small enough item for my threaded rod and also use the same 114" auger belt.

Thanks

Andy