HONDA 20HP starting issue of my own.

ArmyAviator

Threads
I read thru an earlier post on same; just a few questions if you all will indulge me. 2005 HUSTLER FasTrack w/ 20HP HONDA.

Mine was running just fine about 30 days ago; that's the last mowing we did. Just tried to start it; turns over but no sputter or anything; just starter strongly spinning engine.

1. As to the fire...should I be able to see the spark when I pull the plug, leaving the plug wire connected? I've cleaned the spark plug and cap, re-attached, turn motor over, nothing on spark plug.

2. Would a bad kill switch/wire still let the starter turn?

3. I've pulled the air filter, which I maintain diligently, and there is some oily gasoline-smelling wetness on bottom edge of air filter housing.....and also some black oily gas-smelling residue on spark plug threads.....?

Lastly, I know that I've not begun to solve via troubleshooting; but if I decide to change that engine out, what are your recommendations?

Thank you.

ArmyAviator

Threads
Mark, thank you for the manual. I was hoping to have my questions answered; I can fly the hair of multi-million $$$ Army helicopters and can fix most things...but small engines, I'm nearly in the dark.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I read thru an earlier post on same; just a few questions if you all will indulge me. 2005 HUSTLER FasTrack w/ 20HP HONDA. Mine was running just fine about 30 days ago; that's the last mowing we did. Just tried to start it; turns over but no sputter or anything; just starter strongly spinning engine. 1. As to the fire...should I be able to see the spark when I pull the plug, leaving the plug wire connected? I've cleaned the spark plug and cap, re-attached, turn motor over, nothing on spark plug. 2. Would a bad kill switch/wire still let the starter turn? 3. I've pulled the air filter, which I maintain diligently, and there is some oily gasoline-smelling wetness on bottom edge of air filter housing.....and also some black oily gas-smelling residue on spark plug threads.....? Lastly, I know that I've not begun to solve via troubleshooting; but if I decide to change that engine out, what are your recommendations? Thank you.

You should be able to see spark if the plug is grounded touching the engine or can hold the plug close to a ground and the spark will jump the gap.

On most mowers if a safety switch is bad it will not let power to the starter.

If you do not have spark unhook the kill wire going to the coil and try again.

ArmyAviator

Threads
I need to find a manual that lays out different components; I'll need pictures to find the coil; and this Honda engine seems to have lotsa cowling...fun.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Try new spark plugs before going too much further.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I need to find a manual that lays out different components; I'll need pictures to find the coil; and this Honda engine seems to have lotsa cowling...fun.

On the side of the engine block is the serial number, usually "GXXX-1234567." If you'll share that, I can post some "no start" troubleshooting information to get you started.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mark, thank you for the manual. I was hoping to have my questions answered; I can fly the hair of multi-million $$$ Army helicopters and can fix most things...but small engines, I'm nearly in the dark.

Robert @ Honda will get you going, he's a Honda Pro. Don't even think of replacing your Honda 20 H.P. commercial engine, it should last forever if maintained properly. Being an aviator I know you maintain it properly. As a jet engine mechanic U.S.A.F. in the 70's we always used the term I.A.W., In Accordance With, when working on engines.

I will add that I always check oil level and add fresh high octane gas before starting mower.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the plugs out, and crank, see if you feel any compression with your finger on the plug holes.

ArmyAviator

Threads
UPDATE: military duty called me away from getting into it further at my last post. When I returned, more turning over fine but no starting. I pulled both plugs, they looked fine. I "jumped" every connection that looked like a kill switch; nothing. Put in new air filter, fresh high octane gas; still nothing. I could smell fuel and was obviously getting air...so ignition was the only missing point in that trident. I recalled bwdbrn1's advice to change the plugs before much farther....so, for $4.08, I put in two new premium plugs. It started and runs like it was new. I should not have doubted Honda and I've maintained the oil and filters impeccably. THANK YOU ALL.......should it change, I'll be back....but for now, all is well, Fellas.

--Bryant