Homemade siding/soffitt cutoff saws

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I posted these pics on TBN in the Front Porch forum, I do a lot of vinyl siding/soffit work on the side and being too cheap to buy a ready made sliding compound miter saw, I made my own saw to use. The first pic shows an older 2 hp Craftman saw with the lower blade guard removed, there are alumimum U-channels bolted to the saw baseplate and the tracks are from a stainless steel cabinet I found in the scrap pile. It will crosscut 22 inches at 90 degrees and if you hold something at an angle it will easily cut most angles up to 45 degrees up to a foot across in the siding, etc.

Attachments

• BB pics 2011 033.jpg
    BB pics 2011 033.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 17

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I made this one about 15 years ago, it slides on tracks I got from an old file cabinet, it would only crosscut about one foot at most. My brothers garage was burgled last summer and they stole this saw...he was very upset but I replaced it with a better one...:biggrin: The new one has more power, more crosscut capability, and it is two assemblies not just one.

Attachments

• 2009_0506lugnuts0029.jpg
    2009_0506lugnuts0029.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 12

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the saw blade mounted running in reverse ? Have you tried a metal cutting composite blade ?
I've also used plywood blade mounted running in reverse.

I have an older aluminum Delta Sawbuck that I picked up at cost because the display model would not fit back in the vendor's van at a trade show - he had everything in boxes when he unloaded and set up.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the saw blade mounted running in reverse ? Have you tried a metal cutting composite blade ?
I've also used plywood blade mounted running in reverse.

I have an older aluminum Delta Sawbuck that I picked up at cost because the display model would not fit back in the vendor's van at a trade show - he had everything in boxes when he unloaded and set up.

Yes, if you look at the blades you can see the teeth point down rather tnan up, a circular saw used to cut wood has the teeth pointing up. While I thought about buying a special metal cutting blade, a standard 44 tooth saw blade works well with both aluminum and vinyl. I had some left over from when I replaced the OEM sawblades with carbide tip type.

Fot the absolute smoothest and most precise cut in vinyl, such as cutouts for doors and windows, I use a Craftsman 19.2 volt cordless saw with a 100 tooth plywood blade mounted to run in reverse.

That type of plastic cutter works super on PVC pipes too.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I posted these pics on TBN in the Front Porch forum, I do a lot of vinyl siding/soffit work on the side and being too cheap to buy a ready made sliding compound miter saw, I made my own saw to use. The first pic shows an older 2 hp Craftman saw with the lower blade guard removed, there are alumimum U-channels bolted to the saw baseplate and the tracks are from a stainless steel cabinet I found in the scrap pile. It will crosscut 22 inches at 90 degrees and if you hold something at an angle it will easily cut most angles up to 45 degrees up to a foot across in the siding, etc.

Looks just like my saw! I 've had that thing for at least 30 years, still works just like it did they day I got it.

cubby

Threads
Nice job on the saws JD, I got an old house that I plan on siding , soffitts and insulation. I'm not very
good in the home improvement dept., and I can't afford to pay someone to do it. But I'm gonna try it
myself. Everybody says its easy, you know how that goes!

So I might need a few pointers along the way this summer......cubby