Which type of mower for very steep slope?

ericthegreen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I've just purchased a home with a one acre yard, 1/2 of which is comprised of a slope with a gradient of about 45 degrees. Is it feasible to mow a slope of this degree safely with an LT/GT? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Harriet

Threads
That's quite the challenge. What kind of a setting is it? Is it possible to replace with some other sort of ground cover that would not need to be mowed?

jenkinsph

Threads
That is a very steep slope for most mowers and can be dangerous to deal with. Might have problems with erosion too. Can you post some pics of this?

Ventrac

Threads
Hi all. I've just purchased a home with a one acre yard, 1/2 of which is comprised of a slope with a gradient of about 45 degrees. Is it feasible to mow a slope of this degree safely with an LT/GT? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Are you certain that it is 45 degrees? It is hard to even walk up a 45 degree slope. 45 degrees is 78.54% grade and as jenkins said before, you are going to have a lot of trouble with erosion making a healthy turf hard to keep up if you are mowing on it too. Our Ventrac Tractors are rated for 30 (58% grade) degree slopes with Duals Ventrac - Advantages: Slope Mowing. Maybe you could get a slope meter and verify that it is indeed 45 degrees. If so, Harriet probably has the best idea :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...gradient of about 45 degrees. Is it feasible to mow a slope of this degree safely with an LT/GT? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think anything you could do to any LT or GT will allow you to safely do anything to that... Just too steep... Even the Ventrac that BKBrown, has would not be happy on that... and it is among the most stable tractors you will find....
I'm with everyone else.. change ground cover... plant sedum or something like it... Don't risk a bad accident. :smile:KennyV

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I'll join the choir: Not practical or safe to finish mow a 45 degree slope.

steved

Threads
A well balanced string trimmer would be the safest...

Slater

Threads
Alright I found a guy mowing a steep hill...
YouTube - Norm Tupplin, 73 In Wheelchair mowing grass.
AND he is 73 doing it from a Wheelchair ... this could work, if your careful... :smile:KennyV

I think I would go the goat route if I had to do that! Gotta give the guy props for trying :thumbsup: I actually remember Ventrac making a wheelchair operated tractor like their 4000 Series. It had quick mount attachments, 4wd, center articulating, just a wider back for wheelchairs. Pretty sweet looking unit and very nice for those that want to get out and do their own work, but I am not sure where I saw it :mad:

Found this one, but this isn't what I am talking about. YouTube - Ventrac Freedom Model 300 Great little scooter to get around, but not the full fledged tractor I was trying to find.