Which type of mower for very steep slope?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
http://ventrac.com/pdf/VR300.pdf :thumbsup:

http://ventrac.com/products/other/vr300/

I think I would go the goat route if I had to do that! Gotta give the guy props for trying :thumbsup: I actually remember Ventrac making a wheelchair operated tractor like their 4000 Series. It had quick mount attachments, 4wd, center articulating, just a wider back for wheelchairs. Pretty sweet looking unit and very nice for those that want to get out and do their own work, but I am not sure where I saw it :mad:

Found this one, but this isn't what I am talking about. YouTube - Ventrac Freedom Model 300 Great little scooter to get around, but not the full fledged tractor I was trying to find.

KT88EE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Evatech Remote controlled tank track mowers. Check the engine oil spec for the angle. Hybrid Goat Robot 22T $12, 000 . I have a model RCLM S class which has been going for 7 years. He designs his own controller and software and it's tough and many software safety features not on other controllers. Constant software updates. Good guy to go to for any problems. Also he is an Electrical Engineer vs Joe blow the back yard welder. EVATECH OFFICIAL WEBSITE . Has been featured in Discovery etc etc. Check it out. Check for out of season sales. I have gotten software updates years after the sale.

bjc

Threads
I have done 50 degrees on a Zero Turn, you just need a counter balance, but I am a redneck from heart, so if you are paranoid go to Land and Coates or home depot and buy yourself a nice walk behind:laughing::laughing::thumbsup::thumbsup:

rico7684

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I've just purchased a home with a one acre yard, 1/2 of which is comprised of a slope with a gradient of about 45 degrees. Is it feasible to mow a slope of this degree safely with an LT/GT? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

My yard is 1.5 acres in Western NY and the slope varies from about 10 degrees to about 40 degrees. I mow with a John Deere X500 with HDAP tires on the rear and have no problems whatsoever. It has a foot operated traction assist, which provides power to both rear wheels if needed.

I usually don't mow when its wet, but have in the past & only had rear tire slippage going uphill, so if that happens I just mow side to side (horizontally).

I used to have a JD X111 with turf tires & never had a problem with that mower either and I've been mowing my yard for 11yrs. I will say the X500 is a much heavier duty machine than the X111 & feels very stable no matter if I mow up & down (vertically), or side to side.

Its something to consider & good luck on your quest!

whmtd

Threads
I have slopes which are also around 40 degrees which I mow with an mtd ha4145 with a max gradient of 20% sure if go along the hill you will roll it but if you have a flatter area at the bottom of the slope going up and down works well when it is dry I have towed 150kg loads up it and the mower has coped fine if you are unsure about the traction or mow in the damp then a for wheel drive mower such as a john dere would probably be better but expensive compared to a mtd

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
Any garden or lawn tractor can be modified to dual rear tires. Just run duals on it and then hold on tight!
66644d1166898071-garden-tractor-dual-rear-tires-p7210045.jpg

I used to mow steep banks for a summer job 40 years ago and we had Simplicity tractors with duals and we went sideways on 45 degree slopes daily. The hardest part of doing that is staying in the seat.

In my current location, I mow 45 degree slopes with my lawn tractor, but I have to go downhill straight on dry grass (as mentioned in previous response). Going uphill is out of the question due to flip backwards potential with seat directly over rear axle. With duals you can go sideways on steep slopes with nearly zero flip risk.

In my own experience, one of the things you do not see coming on steep slopes is loss of steering effectiveness as the uphill front tire is barely touching and the down hill tire is in contact, but not great. Always turn downhill because of the potential to flip backwards.

Last edited:

grassmoney123

Forum Newbie
Threads
the Wright stander series is exactly what this job calls for. I recently got a buddy in the hill country of texas mowing tons of slopes. He said the thing is a pretty "fun" ride as well Wright Commercial Products