HydroGear ZT-2800 Oil Change Issue

Brucebotti

Threads
I have a question for you experts. This May I purchased a new Toro MX5060 with the ZT-2800. Being anal, I decided to change the oil / filters on the Hydro Drives. Everything went smoothly (except for one really stubborn oil filter), until I went to purge the units. Even with the hydros bypassed, the mower wants to move back and forth (primarily the left hand drive). I noticed that with the engine off and the hydros bypassed, it is harder to push than it was before, similar to an emergency brake hanging up / dragging in an automobile. Per the instructions, I slowly moved the levers back and forth with the engine running, several times in both the bypassed and non bypassed modes. It doesn't seem be a problem as I drove it up and down the driveway. I was careful not to come in contact with any linkages when I did the oil / filter change. Other than checking the linkages, do you have any suggestions? I almost wish I never touched it. I guess no good deed should go unpunished...:laughing:!
Thanks,
Bruce

tybilly

Threads
I am going to suggest purging it again,

Brucebotti

Threads
I am going to suggest purging it again,

I'll try that today. One thing that I did notice is that the Toro manual makes no mention of jacking the wheels off the ground. The Hydro Gear manual says to do so. I'll try it again and let everybody know.

Thanks,
Bruce

Brucebotti

Threads
Just to update. I tried the procedure with the wheels jacked up off the ground, and the left wheel still turns with the hydros bypassed. I did notice that you could push the left side bypass lever in further / beyond the built in stop. I had my son start the mower and operate the drives. I pushed the left bypass in further that the stop and the wheel stopped moving. To fix this, I will add / epoxy a washer or two to the bypass lever to enable it to be pushed in further. I can't understand what had happened to it. It always worked before and there is no way I could have bent the linkage. At least it will be an easy fix and I am relieved that I didn't break anything.
Bruce

Acelazz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro Titan ZX5420 with ZT2800's. I was planning to do the initial oil/filter change and was told by a local dealer that they recommend skipping this one and waiting until 500 hours to crack them open. Seems like a long time, but their reasoning is this system doesn't need a break in period and keeping it topped off and sealed is better than exposing it to any problems from doing it. Not sure how I feel about this. The shop is really respected in the area, but 500 hours! Any one else hear of this?

Brucebotti

Threads
I have a Toro Titan ZX5420 with ZT2800's. I was planning to do the initial oil/filter change and was told by a local dealer that they recommend skipping this one and waiting until 500 hours to crack them open. Seems like a long time, but their reasoning is this system doesn't need a break in period and keeping it topped off and sealed is better than exposing it to any problems from doing it. Not sure how I feel about this. The shop is really respected in the area, but 500 hours! Any one else hear of this?

That sounds like opposite extreme of what I did with changing the fluid and filters at about 30 hours. I'm also the guy that changes oil and filter on a new car at 100 miles.. :rolleyes:. I figure, at worst, I'm throwing some money away. At least it makes me feel better....:laughing:

I would be hesitant to wait 500 hours, but, your dealer is the expert. They certainlt aren't looking to rip you off.

Sorry that I haven't really been of much help.

Bruce

d5coupe

Forum Newbie
Threads
have to revive - i am in same dilemna. dealer thinks im crazy to ever open a hydro, wont do it. service manual say to..... im conflicted.

any advice out there?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, indeed you can do more damage than good servicing your hydros. The only time mine get done is the first recommended service and if I blow a hydro line. Dealers know that most hydro failures are due to contamination from improper service.

cruzenmike

Threads
First of all, why would you change the oil and filters on a new machine? Typically you can go to 250 hours before ever touching the hydrostatic system! No offense, just not a good move considering that this system should only be touched when needed!!!! Secondly, the process as described by the manual for the mower of Hydro-Gears maintenance manual should guide you properly on doing the service without complications. There is also a troubleshooting section in the manual as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw37LRJmWSQK-CAKHgAeSQC8

Or

http://www.hydro-gear.com/library.php?cmd=download&fid=59562c35df3f5272234b54b4b68011b1&libid=

Mike

EricC

Threads
My Hustler with zt-2800's said to service at 75-100 hours. I did. Then I heard all the conflicting opinions on doing it at all. My new mower a ferris stander, my dealer said don't touch them. I contacted Hydro gear directly and their tech said they need to be done at 75 hours initially on the zt3400's I have now.

I guess I'll just keep them clean when I change it and take my chances.