Old push-reel mowers

Snapperfreak

Threads
Good mower there. And yes I do like the sound they make, it can almost take me back in time just by the sound alone. But the sound and the feel of it going thru the grass really takes me back.

The only numbers I could find were on the wheels. Even though both units have slightly different wheels they're both stamped with 708L5. The smaller one has P14 stamped on the stationary cutting bar that's right in front of the roller. I'm assuming that means it's a 14" cut????
The other has no number on that part. That's the best I can come up with.

bwdbrn1

Threads
I dug around for some pictures of some of mine.
Eclipse Model L

Eclipse Zephyr I also have a newer Zephyr with a metal handle, but I don't have a picture of it.

Jacobsen Model161

Blair Manufacturing. Anybody happen to know what model this mower is? I can't find any information on it.

Toro Sportsman

REO Michigan Noisless

This ones got an engine on it, but it's sort of one of my pride and joys. A 1949 Jacobsen Lawn King.

Last edited:

bonnubbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this thread is old, but perhaps there is someone out there who can help me. I just got an OLD reel mower for free from a neighbor. We are trying to restore ot. I will post a photo asap. It has 'made in usa' and a number 'X75Rs' on a wheel. We need to get the wheels off to replace at least one of them, no tread. But we cant get it off! The end "cap" is rusted (like the whole thing) and won't come out. We really think it is worth restoring and worth the effort. No idea of the manufacturer. Wooden handle and what looks like cast iron works. Anybody have any thoughts? I will post a photo later. Thanks

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pics would help but the end caps can be found at hard ware stores, fastener stores, and sometimes auto parts stores. locate part and carefully cut off.

guess you can soak it in pb blaster first sometimes that helps with rust

bonnubbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are some pictures. Sorry it took me so long. We need a tire for one wheel and a roller. And of course it needs a good sharpening. But those little "caps" in the center of the wheel will not come out, no matter how much we spray stuff on it. Excuse the saw dust, it got in the way of some lumber being sawed!DSCN0714.jpgDSCN0711.jpgDSCN0712.jpgDSCN0709.jpg

bt3

Threads
Cool thread.

I have a newer Scotts 21" Push Reel mower that I use in the summer once my yard is clean and there are few "twigs' to halt the reel mower suddenly. I hate when that happens. I figure I save about 3 gallons of gas during the summer months using a push reel mower. And it does a great job. I wish I had my father's old push reel mower. He also had a self propelled REO powered reel mower. I've seen them demonstrated on Youtube. They work amazingly well and the lawn looks GREAT.