Bushes that won't attract bees

Zeroturn

Threads
I want to put a divider set of bushes up between my property and the neighbors. I would like them to be flowering bushes but I don't want bees. No bees so I can mow near them. Any recommendations?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bees are not a problem, You can mow all around them they will not bother you... Hornets are not like that at all... they will bother you every chance they get. Keep the bees avoid the hornets. KennyV

ncredleg

Threads
I don't want bees. No bees so I can mow near them. Any recommendations?

Are you allergic to bee stings? If not an issue, bees are very beneficial to all of your flowering plants and a necessity for the propagation of many .

Zeroturn

Threads
I am allergic to bees - you guessed it, so I don't want to attract them at all. We also are outside a lot in the summer and I don't want bees buzzing around. I know my daughter is allergic too. I don't want to take that chance.

rekees

Threads
Maybe some bushes that don't have flowers would bee a good idea?

Rip

Threads
Maybe some bushes that don't have flowers would bee a good idea?

Dat gonna bee hard to find.

But there are bushes like Barberry, Red Twig Dogwood and Burning Bush that are colorful but don't really flower.

I'm not a bee expert but I suspect if it flowers, bees will come to it.

rip

RockHound

Threads
Yeah, pretty much if a bush has a flower on it bees will come. "Plant it and they will come"-lame movie reference. :laughing: But there are a lot of bushes that are colorful that don't have flowers on them. That would "bee" :confused2: your best bet if you want something colorful.

Zeroturn

Threads
Are burning bushes the red ones? What do you think about the pretty yellow bushes? They might be called forsythia? Any one have any of these? When do they bloom? We have lilac bushes in our yard and no bees- but I'm thinking it's because it's not hot enough yet.

Rip

Threads
Are burning bushes the red ones? What do you think about the pretty yellow bushes? They might be called forsythia? Any one have any of these? When do they bloom? We have lilac bushes in our yard and no bees- but I'm thinking it's because it's not hot enough yet.

Yes burning bushes change to red in the fall. Forsythia is one of the first Spring bloomers. It has lots of yellow flowers.

Go to a good local nursery and tell them your concerns about bees. I'm sure they would bee able to recommend some good shrubs for your area.

rip

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
My parents always planted russian olive bushes in upstate/western NY. Made a good low maintenance barrier and I don't remember it attracting bees, but it didn't flower much either. Simply put, flowers are natures way of getting bee to help pollinate the plant for reproduction (some plants like corn rely mostly on wind). In any event, I second the suggestion to consult with a reputable nursery in your area.