John Deere 165 Steering Wheel Removal

John c

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a john deere 165. I need to replace a steering column bushing but can not get the steering wheel off. I found the sectional diagram for this model on line and it appears the only thing holding the steering wheel on is a splined bolt. I have removed the splined bolt, sprayed rust remover everywhere possible and used jaw pullers but can't budge it. I created a steel plate to fit under the steering wheel that I could attach the jaw puller to for a more even pull but still had no luck. I am looking for suggestions???

Thanks, John

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Steering wheel removal

I have a john deere 165. I need to replace a steering column bushing but can not get the steering wheel off. I found the sectional diagram for this model on line and it appears the only thing holding the steering wheel on is a splined bolt. I have removed the splined bolt, sprayed rust remover everywhere possible and used jaw pullers but can't budge it. I created a steel plate to fit under the steering wheel that I could attach the jaw puller to for a more even pull but still had no luck. I am looking for suggestions???

Thanks, John

Welcome to LMF, that is one heck of a first post !!! I have read that when you use a liquid to try and dissolve the bond between stuck parts, you should tap them with a plastic hammer (or steel hammer on a hard wood block) to set up vibrations to help the rust remover soak into the parts. Have you tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times to see if the movement helps loosen things? Jeez...as mechanical as I am I would be stumped....there is probably nothing further down the steering column that you could brace a hydraulic or scissor jack against to push the wheel off is there? Can you brace a hard wood block against the bottom of the wheel and hammer the block upwards?

Come on fellow LMF members, lets give John some ideas....we need challenges like this to keep our minds sharp !!!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Hello John... Welcome to a usually very enjoyable site...
Splined attachments are generally resistant to pulling.
With your puller attached and loaded as tight as you can turn the center give the top of the center pin a very sharp blow with a heavy hammer.
Do this while setting on the seat with your knees under the steering wheel, this will unload the steering shaft and keep from transferring the hammer strike to the bushings or steering sector. The wheel will pop loose with very little effort... use a hammer as heavy or heavier than the puller... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hello John... Welcome to a usually very enjoyable site...
Splined attachments are generally resistant to pulling.
With your puller attached and loaded as tight as you can turn the center give the top of the center pin a very sharp blow with a heavy hammer.
Do this while setting on the seat with your knees under the steering wheel, this will unload the steering shaft and keep from transferring the hammer strike to the bushings or steering sector. The wheel will pop loose with very little effort... use a hammer as heavy or heavier than the puller... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, never heard of doing it that way...last time I pulled a steering wheel was back in 1968 on a '65 Mustang...considering how complex and how many things are built into the wheels of todays cars (airbag, speed controls, etc) I'd be afraid to try to remove one of those.