best chainsaw

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
We had a Stihl but it died last fall, something about the place where you crank it to get it going is messed up and we can get it fixed but were told it was probably cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old one.

I'd try another dealer for service - sounds like they just want to sell a new saw ! Usually cheaper to fix than buy new unless it was run without oil in the gas or was crushed by a tree :rolleyes: !

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
...were told it was probably cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old one.

I own a Husqvarna and my brother-in-law owns a Stihl. His saw will cut circles around my saw (pun intended :smile:), overall a much better product.

So why did I buy a Husqvarna? Well initial cost is much less and for the amount of cutting I do it fits my need. Plus when my BIL took his saw in for full service and a repair, it cost the same as my saw did new. He can justify the expense because he uses his saw regularly as part of his job, I don't.

Both are excellant saws and you can't go wrong with either.

Rpeter1

Threads
I agree that you can not go wrong with either one. I happen to have a Husqvarna. Your best bet is to shop the dealer. Find a dealer that has a good reputation and sells one of those two brands. If you use it a lot you will have to take it in for something down the line. Thats where having a good dealer will save you time and piece of mind.

bmcox

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have two Stihl 029 Farm Boss with 18 bars. One I bought new 11 years ago and the other I bought used 6 years ago. I cut 12 or 13 cords each year with them. Never have had any problems with ether of these saws . . . they just keep going strong!

glastron23

Threads
Hand2plow... if you are going to put saws against each other then you must have a level playing field, LOL....
Monica123..... either saw manufacture is a great investment but you must spec the saw that will do what you want but not be too much, the 162 we had was a great saw for limbing and topping but was under powered for dropping large trees, it was OK in the fire wood pile as long as it was sharp, the 922 Homelite was great for felling large trees but was WAY to heavy for limbing, it was a bear in the wood pile but your arms were 3 inches longer at the end of the day, where as the 357XP has lots of power/light enough for all day work and good on fuel, the best thing is to talk to a good saw shop ,tell them what you want to do and DON'T get a cheapo off shore POS.... buy a quality saw and treat it right, keep the chain sharp and enjoy it for years.... Jim :thumbsup:

monica123

Threads
Thank you for all your replies. I am certainly new to the world of chainsaws so any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you again.

VRman

Threads
I'll probably get booed for this, but I've had excellent luck with Poulan. I've had the 16" one for about 10 years now. Change the bar and chain every now and then and it has been a champ.

I probably don't use it as frequently as others on here do, but for what I use it for, limbs & cutting down the occasional tree, it has been a great piece of equipment.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll probably get booed for this, but I've had excellent luck with Poulan. I've had the 16" one for about 10 years now. Change the bar and chain every now and then and it has been a champ.

I probably don't use it as frequently as others on here do, but for what I use it for, limbs & cutting down the occasional tree, it has been a great piece of equipment.

Just thinking that the Poulan you got 10 years ago is probably made better than what they sell today in the box stores now ??????