Hard starting toro. Sort of not sure what to check nezt

cdestuck

Threads
  • / Hard starting toro. Sort of not sure what to check nezt
I have a toro 20067 with a Briggs 6.75 hp engine with electric start. Its been harder to start this summer. Seems to take extra priming. I ordered a carb kits which came today. And as it was, I couldn't even get it started today, with starter or pull start. So pulled off the carb and rebuilt it checking all orifices and main jet holes. Put back together and would only start if I plugged the carb inlet with my thumb. Started and ran fine. Could see pulses of fuel as it ran. Pulled carb and checked it all over again and still the hard starting.

I checked the spark and did get a blue spark, I guess it looked strong enough. Would it b hard to start in this manner in the spark was weak? Any way I can be sure it's strong enough?

It did start after some messin, without my thumb, but more priming than it should take. I did pull prime bulb and it is in good shape. When I do prime, I can see some fuel being pushed up through the brass tube in the carb. Any help on what I can check. Thanks.

briggs

Threads
I have a toro 20067 with a Briggs 6.75 hp engine with electric start. Its been harder to start this summer. Seems to take extra priming. I ordered a carb kits which came today. And as it was, I couldn't even get it started today, with starter or pull start. So pulled off the carb and rebuilt it checking all orifices and main jet holes. Put back together and would only start if I plugged the carb inlet with my thumb. Started and ran fine. Could see pulses of fuel as it ran. Pulled carb and checked it all over again and still the hard starting.

I checked the spark and did get a blue spark, I guess it looked strong enough. Would it b hard to start in this manner in the spark was weak? Any way I can be sure it's strong enough?

It did start after some messin, without my thumb, but more priming than it should take. I did pull prime bulb and it is in good shape. When I do prime, I can see some fuel being pushed up through the brass tube in the carb. Any help on what I can check. Thanks.

take carb off and blow it out with compressed air it sounds like one of the ports in the carb has crap in it

tybilly

Threads
check the little holes in the bowl nut too,stuff likes to hide in there also..lost a customer yrs ago over that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the carb, disassemble and either give it a good 24 hr bath or have it ultrasonically cleaned. Reassemble with a new float needle and seat. If I remember right the part number should be 698188, but double check with your engine numbers. Should be good to go. Just trying to clean it with compressed air or spray carb cleaner will not get the job done.

briggs

Threads
Pull the carb, disassemble and either give it a good 24 hr bath or have it ultrasonically cleaned. Reassemble with a new float needle and seat. If I remember right the part number should be 698188, but double check with your engine numbers. Should be good to go. Just trying to clean it with compressed air or spray carb cleaner will not get the job done.

never had a prob with compressed air i do it all the time everyday all day 90% of the repairs that come in air dirty carbs( that's what u get for using crappy gas)..But yes it dose help if u soak them in a mix of high test gas and some sea-foam for about an hr before u blast them with air ...I also made a special blow gun for blowing carbs out and it works slick gets right in the ports and jets with ease and puts about a 110 psi threw them will post pics of the gun i made when i get a free min :confused2:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have always used carb cleaner and air sometimes would take two cleanings to get it good.

Last 3 carbs I have took them apart and had a shop do the sonic clean because you said it was the best way. All 3 have worked as good as new. Now I agree it is the best way and only way for me now

Firebird2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a toro 20039 personal pace rough running and a whooping sound, I found the flywheel key sheared(fixed), A hole in the head gasket (fixed), cleaned carb, starts but stalls and is hard starting very frustrating, come to find out the wrong primer bulb was replaced with a solid bulb and not the correct one with a hole in it p/n 694395 used on non adjustable carbs, it now starts on the first pull ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a toro 20039 personal pace rough running and a whooping sound, I found the flywheel key sheared(fixed), A hole in the head gasket (fixed), cleaned carb, starts but stalls and is hard starting very frustrating, come to find out the wrong primer bulb was replaced with a solid bulb and not the correct one with a hole in it p/n 694395 used on non adjustable carbs, it now starts on the first pull 

Did you notice this thread is from 2013?